Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: VERY SICK axolotl - curled tail, cotton wool spot on gills etc

hairdressica

Reaction score
I have had constant on going health issues with my axolotl despite trying everything I cram.
Bowies water parameters are good, but I have been struggling with the temperature
Bowies tank is stuck at 19 degrees and I can't get it down, despite constant water changes and a fan blowing on it.
I change my water every three days.
But I live in melbourne and we're going through a heat wave; even with the air conditioner on, it doesn't seem to help
I went away for 3 days ( my brother was looking after her)and came home to find her lethargic
She has no appetite, her tail and Hills are curled, her ridge on her back is completely gone and she has developed cotton wool ball type things on her gills.

I'm at my wits end. I've spent so much money to do my best to keep her happy and healthy.
I'm now on the verge of putting her up for adoption.
Please please help me

Attachments

• IMG_8988.jpg
    IMG_8988.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11,502
  • IMG_8990.jpg
    IMG_8990.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,079
  • IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_8991.jpg
    IMG_8991.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,913
  • IMG_8996.jpg
    IMG_8996.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,159

hairdressica

Reaction score
UPDATE; touched the large "cotton" substance accidentally while trying to feed and it fell off

Attachments

• IMG_8998.jpg
    IMG_8998.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • IMG_8999.jpg
    IMG_8999.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,033

Holly12

Reaction score
Of there's a fungal infection, that needs to be treated. Is she morphing? (I ask because of the ridge disappearing.)
My axie tank sat between 19 and 21 last summer and my guy did ok. It's winter now and he's between 14 and 16.

hairdressica

Reaction score
Of there's a fungal infection, that needs to be treated. Is she morphing? (I ask because of the ridge disappearing.)
My axie tank sat between 19 and 21 last summer and my guy did ok. It's winter now and he's between 14 and 16.

I tried to salt bath her. She didn't last long before she started to stress
I don't think she's morphing. But I don't know what else it could be

emdalliance

Reaction score
Her feet are still webbed so I doubt she's morphing. The lack of top dorsal fin could be because she's underweight. I have rescued underweight axolotls and none of them have had much of a top fin.

She has a fungal infection. Treat with tea baths before moving on to salt baths. Salt baths should be a last resort. Remove her from her tank for now. 19 degrees is fine. Tank should always be below 20. What do you feed her? She might be susceptible to problems because she's underweight, not getting enough nutrients so poor immune system. How much water do you change? What are you testing your water with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!