Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone use aquarium cooling fans?

C

connor

Anyone use these fans like these http://home-garden.search.ebay.co.uk/tank-cooling_Pet-Supplies_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZ1281QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZ for their axies when it gets to hot? I might invest in one,im worried if itll be too hot in the summer. My temps 21 at the moment!
Now for lighting...my current light generates quiete a bit of heat,is there one that doesnt? It would need to be available in the UK and it would have to come in a 15 watt size

S

shelly

if you want to find out everything you need for your axie tank ring the pet shop in basildon town square. the owners have kept axies for years and will be able to advise you on whats worth getting and if they think it is then they should stock it.

i rang them a few times in a panic when i first got fraggle and they gave some good advice. they can also tell you straight away if its during the day, and you dont think you can wait for replies.

J

jennifer

Connor, please do not post the same question twice in different areas of the forum. I moved your second post here.

S

shelly

connor i dont use the lights on my tank. keeps the temp down and i find day light and the lights from my room work just fine.

A

amber

I installed a computer fan into the lid of my newt tank, as my grandfather is an electrician. Also built a nice speed adjuster slide into the plug
happy.gif

morrisseybond

Reaction score
I used those fans before, but it only helps to keep the water may be 2c down,,,so if the summer time in your country is real hot, the temp may still more than 25c, and it could be very dangerous to axies.
I just installed the chiller for half month, I didn't set the temp too low either, but only around 22c.:wacko:

wuperruper

Reaction score
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44652

If u scroll down in the above thread, i have a picture of cooling fans i made with four computer fans. I have two of them blowing into the tank and two of them blowing out of the tank. It had dropped the water temp from 24 deg C to 19 deg C. Chillers will probably always work best but from what i can see, this method seems efficient enough without having to spend too much money. This only cost me about $10 USD. Sorry i couldnt post the pic directly into this thread, the browser kept freezing up when i tried to.

G

Guydyon

I am building a similar system with three computer fans, all of them blowing down, the difference is that my tank doesn't have cover.
One of the fans I got has an aluminium heat sink, something like this:

0000c2zk

I put the heat sink on top of the fan and then put ice cubes or some other cold thing on top of it. The idea is that the metal is cooled by the ice, and the cold air that forms around it is draged by the fan into the tank, following the same principle as an air conditioner. But this is still in testing fase... ;)

Another idea I had, was to put a sealed bag with ice on top of the air pump, or jacuzzi engine, as we call it. This will cool the air that is sent to the aquarium, cooling the water around. The two things I'm not sure about this is if the engine won't be damaged, and if the animals won't have some temperature shock when they go for their beauty bubble bath...

Last edited:

polard98

Reaction score
If the summer time in your country is real hot,and you area getting dry in the scorching heat of the summer,and it could be very dangerous to four our health.Suitable temperature is needed so we can install chiller to maintain the comfort but unfortunately,if some one have to go for any outdoor activity and cannot have a fan at every place you go and even at your home, there are some corners where getting air is a challenge. A battery operated fan is the solution to deal with cooling problem of restricted ventilation at any place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!