Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PH Discussion

Fireguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've been seeing lots of discussion on here on how to rise or drop pH levels. I was wondering why people suggest to use stuff like wood or crushed coral when you can simply buy pH Up or pH Down (at least... that's what it's called in Canada) and I'm pretty sure it's made by the same people that make the API test kits. I use it and it has worked very well for me. Is this just a matter of preference as some people want to try and keep the tank the most natural as possible with the least amount of chemicals?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
The reason we usually suggest staying away from the bottled pH up/down is because axolotl skin is sensitive and can absorb whatever you're putting in the tank. Using wood or crushed coral is also more stable than adding the chemicals.
Hope this helps! Would love to hear other people's points.

Acacia

Reaction score
Yep, most people stay away from bottled products due to the fact that they change ph levels too quickly. Though I haven't seen much about the actual optimum pH for an axolotl? They seem pretty tolerant of high pH, at least- I live in Chicago where the water has a pH of 8.0 and they seem fine- then again, I've only owned axolotls that I have hatched myself and lived in 8.0 pH water for their whole lives.
I'm curious to see others' experiences with axolotls and pH as well!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Yeah as far as I know they can tolerate quite a range of pH. I had added an indian almond leaf to help with a skin condition and my pH dropped really quickly. It is usually 7.4-7.6 but had dropped to below 6.5 so I had to add crushed coral to counteract. It's stable now, though only some remnants of the leaf are left.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1