Can newts tolerate current from internal filters?

G

george

I'm not sure which route to go in filtration for my fire-belly newt tank. I see conflicting information on the internet. Some say do not use an internal power filter (I plan to use the tetra internal filter), since fire-bellies and other mostly aquatic newts will be stressed by the current. Should I use a simple sponge filter instead? They don't seem as effect as internal power filters though. Which filtration is best for FBN's and other mainly aquatic newts? Thanks.

I have used an internal power filter with no problems. Just make sure that there are places that the newt can go where there is no / little current. Usually a lot of plants will slow the current making the newts happier.

There are some internal powerheads which are adjustable. In my one tank I run one of these on the lowest setting. It seems to do the job and the current only affects a small part of the tank.

I would, however, recommend an airlift undergravel filter along with an airlift external filter. The combination keeps the tank clean with very little current.

Any of the filters mentioned will do fine: submersible, sponge filter, or undergravel. You may have already seen this, but here's an article that discusses the pros and cons of each:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml
One thing to consider is heat: a bubble-driven sponge filter will produce the least amount of heat. For many people, keeping newts cool enough in summer is a challenge.

I have a heavy planted tank with no filter at all for my fire bellies. The more plants you have, the lesser the need for a filter. Just remember to remove food leftovers instantly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back