Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to forum and need filter help

SBuckley

Reaction score
I an a new owner of a small axolotl. I currently have a tetra whisper HOB filter but it doesnt seem as if the axolotl like its. He hides in the corners of the tank. I have also purchased a Aqueon QuietFlow Internal Power Filter and a Tetra In Tank Filter. Im wondering if one of these are a better option. I have black aquarium sand as a substrate that was thoroughly washed for over 35mins and the water is cloudy. Please help! I just want to make a nice,comfortable home for him.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
They don't like water current so if you see plants moving or he can't sit still without moving from the current its to powerful. Block current with rocks,decorations, plants extra or us a sponge filter. Your water is probably cloudy from the sand it can take days and lots of water changes to clear it up. If sand came with clumping addictive it helped me . Is your aquarium cycled thats important to;)?

Holly12

Reaction score
If the water is cloudy from the sand, I'm guessing the filter and tank haven't cycled? This is really important to do before you get your axie so it doesn't die.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Problem Water cloudy very fine sponge filter can help, you can also use water clarifier, but new filter need cycling and growing more good bacteria to handle all that cloudy water on their own. Low current will also help your axolotl moving around . If you have nothing to block your water current then just move your bubblur underneath where the water coming Down the air bubbles will help cancel strong water pressure ( bubble push water up against the strong water flow)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1