The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th October 2016   #1
debadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: debadog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Struggling with cycling - Tank temperature?

Hello,

I'm starting my first tank to get my long awaited axolotl (wanted one for about 10 years!) and i'm running into a bit of trouble. Its been a week since I started cycling and my ammonia isn't dropping.

I'm using household ammonia from Homebase (UK) which looks to be just ammonia and water so thats all good. I think I may have overdone it a little on the ammonia at the beginning (I only bought paper water chemistry testers but I have an API kit now which is way more accurate) but its stuck at 4ppm for quite a few days now . Weirdly, I do seem to have 0.25ppm nitrites so I must be doing something right?

I'm ONLY NOW seeing everywhere people saying that you need a high temperature for cycling (absolute news to me!). My tank is currently at 20C (room temp) BUT is does happen to be a tropical tank with a heater which I intended not to use.

So basically my question is, should I use my tank heater and increase the temperature of the tank to speed up cycling, then take it out and reduce the temperature once the cycle is over? What would I increase it to? Would it really help?

debadog is offline   Reply With Quote