Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl fight - damaged limb

bizoot

Reaction score
Hey guys this morning I had a fight in my aquarium and now basically one of them has a VERY injured arm all bloodied up swollen and crooked.

The question is will it heal normally? Or do I need to remove the arm for it to properly grow up like new?
Thanks!

bizoot

Reaction score
U can look at things from another perspective. If i wait and eventually it heals or at least looks healed but loses it movement abilities then I would never have the guts to amputate.

Another thing, I once read that U can put your Axie in the fridge for its metabolism to slow down and thus allowing for fastest healing time. What do you think?
Thanks!

Karamarinara

Reaction score
Hey guys this morning I had a fight in my aquarium and now basically one of them has a VERY injured arm all bloodied up swollen and crooked.

The question is will it heal normally? Or do I need to remove the arm for it to properly grow up like new?
Thanks!

Leave it alone, the damaged bits will heal on its own. Give him his own tub and do water changes every day. Make sure it does not get infected. How well are you feeding them? Generally these things happen with underfed axos,but it can with healthy ones!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1