Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

PLEASE HELP - Sick Axolotl!

D

david

}<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font>Hi, I'm new to Axolotls and also to this site but I'm hoping someone can help and advise me. I have two new baby axies, about eleven weeks old and about two inches in length. Everything has been fine for the first few days but Zaney, the slightly bigger of the two, started acting odd. He started by having his head and feet on the sand at the bottom of the tank and his back end was floating. I looked on this site and saw people suggesting that he have his tummy rubbed, I did this and he seemed slightly better but not for long. He has now got much worse and keeps floating upside down at the top of the tank! I keep thinking I've lost him but then he moves, swims a little, and floats away again! I've changed half the water, with little or no effect, and there's no heater in the tank. He's eating fine, still eating daphnia and bloodworm. Can anyone help? I'm really worried about the little fella and don't know what to do for the best for him. Thanks.

C

cynthia

David - Remove it from the tank and put it in a small container with just enough water to cover the axolotl. This may help it to be able to gain its footing.

Stick him in the fridge. Floating can be a sign of systemic problems. It could be an indication that there is some infection either effecting the animal’s equilibrium or producing extra gas.
Cooling it down slows its metabolism and the progress of the infection.

I have only had experience with one small axolotl floating like yours is. With in 24 hours it developed bright red veins in its tail and body. I was unable to save it.

Yours may just have a bad gas bubble and it will pass it. I hope it gets better. It is good that it is still eating.

Some one else in the forum might have more suggestions for you as to a type of medication to use.

Please keep us posted.

C

cynthia

David - I found this at http://www.axolotl.org
in the health section:

I have also heard of at least one instance of bathing newts exhibiting early signs of bacterial problems, for 10 minutes in gentamicin (0.2 ml veterinary gentamicin solution per litre of water) resulting in recovery of animals (thanks to Patrick Steinberger for passing this on). This last procedure might be safer than injection for very small axolotls, though it is surely much less effective than injection, as it relies solely on absorption of the antibiotic through the skin.

You may want to try gentamicin if your axolotl does not appear to be making progress.

C

charlie

Ay up David.......glad you found your way here - it really is the best place for advice...in case it helps anyone think about what David might need to do for Zaney, all the rest of the brood here are fine and showing no floating tendencies - and i've had a quick ring round to find that other lotls already homed are also doing fine

Other than that I'm not sure I can shed any light on Zaney's predicament

D

david

Will do this straight away and let you know how the little fella gets on

D

david

Zaney appears worse this morning, practically lifeless! He now has a red mark on his one side and is almost motionless, he's still hanging in there though. I have him in a little container with enough water to cover him but he still floats upside down with his legs akimbo!

S

sharn

hmmm doesnt sound too promising, i have no idea what to do apart from keep him in there. if you think its best for him to go you can put clove oil in the water ( i read this in another post, cant remember which though) it puts them to sleep nice and gently, they just drift off, hope this wasnt inapropriate, i hope he gets better for you

J

joan

David, while in the fridge, Zaney will not be active at all. S/he will be really cold and the metabolism will drop very low, and there won't be much movement. Have you tried salt baths yet?

C

cynthia

You can try gently rubbing his belly again to work out some of the air so maybe he can stay right side up.

You could try to get some gentamicin from a vet, or take him to a vet.

D

david

Hello everyone, fantastic news, we put Zaney in the fridge and rubbed his tummy and he's perfectly fine again. Thank you everyone so much for all your help, it's really appreciated.

A

alan

Hi Everyone, We need urgent help. We have a male and female axie and the male has just last night decided to attack the female chewing her fin and her front legs down to the bone. She now seems very quiet and stressed as her tail is bent. We have put a divider into the tank to keep them apart. Do you have any idea why he would suddenly do this? Will we have to seperate them permantley I'm a bit concerned this may happen again. Also, do you have any ideas to aide her recovery. Thanks all so much for your time and help. Kathy.

K

kim

Hi Kathy,

sorry to hear about your axies fight you have done the right thing to put a divider in the tank.

Axies are great recovers.. and she will hopefully be able to grow back her missing parts if she can get over the fight.. I'd say your best bet it a salt water bath 3 times a day to stop fungus and or go and see the vet..

I have no idea why its happened.. maybe something freaked them out? you may be able to put them back together again one day but you will have to keep a very close eye on them.

Hope she pulls through. And keep us updated.

Kim

(Message edited by jigglypuff on April 08, 2005)

S

sharn

if hes a wildtype and shes not it could be the problem. i read that wildtypes are more agressive. i dont think mine is but he is certanly more agressive at feeding time, he doesnt bite the others though. do salt baths, they cure most skin problems. read the post about the bleeding mouth for ratios or salt to water. i suggest keeping them apart until shes fully healed and then put them back together and see how they go. is she alot smaller than him? that could also be a reason. good luck and keep us posted

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!