Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New substrate for tank.

J

james

I know this has probably been done a thousand times before, But I'm wondering about getting sand for my Axie, I was looking around the Internet and found this: http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/sand/Class//T1/F32AA+0611+0032/EDP/24628/Itemdy00.aspx
What do people think? It says marine sand, Is that anything special? From where do people from around where I live get theirs?

And any advice on how to start it up in the tank would be appreciated, And what about when it comes to cleaning it?

Sorry for the long posts.

Many thanks.

J

joan

A 5 pound bag won't get you far. For a 48 inch tank, I used over 25 pounds of sand. I bought pool-filter sand, cheap stuff. Just wash it well.

Starting it in the tank is pretty easy. Remove your axolotls and put them in temporary holding. Wash the sand REALLY well (I used a bucket and washed small quantities at a time). Pour the sand in, and keep the filter going. The water will be cloudy, but this should clear up within 24 hours.

Cleaning: I spot-clean with a turkey baster, and siphon the sand weekly. If you get lighter 'play-sand', it may be harder to siphon.

J

jason

Hi james i have play pit sand i my tank it cost me about £3 from wilkos. If you get it i recommend washing it a black bin to get the most of the dirt out.(about an hour) Then a few lots in a pillow case just to make sure. I also boiled mine for about two hours. Like joan said get the filter going when it is in the tank and it will get rid of the little cloudiness left . I heard pool filter sand is easier to clean. Oh yea i used about 15/18 kgs for my 3 foot by 1 foot tank good luck

J

james

Many thanks people, Should be getting some soon :) Sounds a bit pesky to set up, But I'm sure I'll like it (As well as my Axie) More than gravel (Boo.. Nasty gravel)

J

james

Just one other thing, When I say about siphoning, My siphon is one of the ones I use for my Biorb tank, Simple enough with a squeezy ball thing to start the pump to get the water out, And a 'grate' over the end to stop the gravel getting sucked up too. So if I was to use it with sand wouldn't it just take all the sand out as well?

J

joan

I use a 'regular' siphon. Sand is heavier than water and poo and will fall out of the siphon if it gets sucked up.

J

joan

P00p and cr*p get censored, so 'poo' is the standard around here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!