Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl has large swellings by rear legs

Stiky

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've had my axolotl (Jiggly) for 6 months and he's about 6" in length. I believe he's male judging by the lumps by his back legs. I've been searching the forum for any information regarding swelling near the back legs but can't seem to find any. I've seen a lot about bloat, but don't think Jiggly's suffering from this as the swelling is only near his back legs. He seems to be healthy and there are no problems with feeding. The swelling seems larger on some days than others. I think it may be due to constipation. I've attached some photos of jiggly. Can anyone tell me is this normal? Th
Here's the info on Jiggly's care etc:
*Jiggly is fed blood worm, occasional earth worms, and today i gave him some daphnia. He's fed every 2 days. I've been thinking of buying some axolotl pellets for a bit of variation to his diet. There's no problems with his feeding- he will eat whatever is put in the tank (including my fingers!).
*His tank is 30"/12"/13" and I do 20% water change every 10 days (as well as using a syphon to remove uneaten food).
Please can anyone give any advice?! Are these swellings normal? Or are they bad and do I need to take action to stop this occuring? :confused: As I said Jiggly seems perfectly healthy appart from the swellings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Sadie

Attachments

• DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 14,385
  • DSC00331.jpg
    DSC00331.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 4,946
  • DSC00339.jpg
    DSC00339.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,464

IanF

Reaction score
It seems to be in Cloaca region, so there is a chance he's just very 'male' but my geuss is that something's up. I can see he's on a bare bottom tank currently but was he kept on anything else previously? Also the size of food might be giving him trouble although with the type of food you're using only the earthworms would pose a problem.
If it is swelling or exretion problems I could only reccomend giving him a week or two in the fridge. However, perhaps wait for someone else with more experience to comment before doing anything.

Ian

Gamachii

Reaction score
Hello!

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness3.shtml
If you look at this article, there is a photo about halfway down with the title Constipation.

I don't see your Axie arching his tail at all, which is the other symptom, but the swollen cloaca looks the same.

Is there anything small that your axolotl could have swallowed by accident while eating?

You might want to wait for a second opinion, but the recomended treatment for constipation is to fridge your axolotl until it passes.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Stiky,

Your axie looks healthy and shows no visible signs of illness or stress. Assuming you have not observed any unusual behaviour and still maintain the tank water parameters and temperature well, i would just say that he is a healthy male.

Cheers.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
My young male looks just like that, too. Nothing to worry about - Papa can be proud! ;)

-Eva

Stiky

Reaction score
Hey everyone :D
thanks for all your feedback. Good to know there's nothing seriously wrong with jiggly! The swelling emerged as he's grown a bit so it is possible that he is just well endowed! I'll keep an eye on him though. The pebbles are too large to pose a risk of impaction as such I don't think he could have swallowed anything. The water is about 16/17 celsius so I dont think he's too hot. I've attached a couple of photos of jiggly and the tank! Thanks very much for your help x

Attachments

• DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 948
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,394
  • DSC00293.jpg
    DSC00293.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 2,465
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!