Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is optimal diet for axoltol?

totallyrad

Reaction score
So I have been feeding mine red ("wiggler") worms and they love them.
I have made a worm bin on my back porch and it supplies me with constant food.

Buuuut what else should I throw into their diet because I'm sure
they need other things nutritionally that worms can't give them.
Would they even eat worms in their natural habitat?

Some people say guppies but I don't want to breed them and I
don't want to buy any diseased ones from the store cause they
are kept in bad conditions usually.

A few tasty ghost shrimp here and there?

What do you all feed your axolotls besides worms? :3

Neil C

Reaction score
I think earthworms are a complete diet in themselves and if you could only feed your pets one food the earthworms would be the best. Other than worms I feed mine crickets, mealworms that have just shed their skin and are still white, reptomin pellets, cooked prawns (rare treat).

Regards Neil

totallyrad

Reaction score
yeah i know they are a good diet but i was just wondering if there were other things to spice up the mix :p
wouldn't they have a hard time digesting the crickets hard shell?

Neil C

Reaction score
I try avoiding adult crickets as their exoskeleton is quite tough. Small to medium sized crickets are soft. Also remember to gut load them before feeding.

Regards Neil

ACEPHONECHIC

Reaction score
My six axies have a diet solely of big juicy worms which I keep in 3 plastic tanks and feed chopped jacket potato. The axies are about 8 and half inches long and have thrived on their diet. if when the water is changed a bloodworm or two go in with the fresh water i notice they do not even bother to eat it.

sammie68

Reaction score
I've had my axie for 2 or 3 weeks now (first one we have ever owned !) and he has just been fed solely on earthworms, dug from the backyard. I know you have to be careful where you get them from in regards to pesticides and chemicals but I'm satisfied they are safe. My axie looks healthy and has even gained weight since I got him. Also we have just had a lot of rain, so the earthworms are fat and long just the way he likes them lol !

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
Hello all I just want to add My 2 pennies worth and say that all 3 mine eat mostly salmon pellets and occasionally I put in a dozen ghost shrimp but usually they only last a day or 2 in the tank, My axies have all refused any type of worms red earth trout regardless of the size if its not a pellet the arent really interested... I have even offered wax and silk worms but they still dont seem interested.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I would avoid any mealworms or crickets, the chiton content is pretty high and could possibly cause impaction.

I feed a variety.... earthworms, guppies, thawed bloodworms, and Hikari sinking carnivore pellets. I've fed ghost shrimp, but they are a spendy food option. though I will get them to just give them something to stalk.
I don't feed salmon/trout diet as a feel it just has too much fat content. But most people love them and do well feeding eiether.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!