Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls won't eat! help please

Puli

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm from Chile (southamerica) and I have 3 axolotls about 5 months old. A wild one, golden albino and white.

It was all doing very good, I bought them Sera Raffy Mineral food (floating pellets for water turtles) since they dont sell food for axolotls in Chile this is the best option we have. They were all eating, but two days ago this happened: I put in the tank stones from a lake I got in a trip, but they started to swim really strange, and stopped eating.... I thought the stones had toxic stuff on then maybe, so I took them out, cleaned the tank, cicled the new water with Nitrivex and put the axies in today, but they still won't eat!!! they take the pellets but spit them out and they look frightened..... although they swim normally now and don't look sick.... what should I do???

PLEASE help, I'm worried! :(

Puli

Reaction score
I can get californian earthworms....are they good?

Puli

Reaction score
They just ate dried shrimp...but the still spit out the pellet :(

Urmat

Reaction score
Californian earthworms also known as red wigglers produce a slime that axies dont like, and most wont eat them. You can try to use the red wigglers but they need to be washed before given to the axolotls. How about nightcrawlers, can you get any of those?

Puli

Reaction score
hmm I dont think so... I'll try to get regular earthworms, although they just started to eat the pellet!! :D

Im so relieved... thank you so much anyways :)

Urmat

Reaction score
I would really try to get some suitable earthworms as they are a more complete food for them. Im glad they are eating again tho!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Red wigglers are fine as long as you don't cut them in half. If you have to, give them a good rinse before feeding and your axolotls should take them just fine.

Do you test your water for ammonia and nitrites?

PAWS

Reaction score
Hi - hope the Axi's are doing better now!

From all I read on this site, Axi's are really quiet inquisitive, so if you changed their environment they will probably spend time exploring and looking around before going back to their feed. If you changed their environment a fair bit, that would be my best guess.

I would never presume to lecture to anyone, I had a steep learning curve myself, but Earthworms are considered the best all round food for Axi's. I am sorry that my knowledge does not extend to include the name local to your locations but I am sure another poster could help with that. They are easy to keep and breed, provide a balanced diet and probably also make it easier to keep a stable and clean tank (pellets can dissolve and create a local and biological mess).

I do feed my axi's pellets, but only as an addition to a variety of foods (prawn, chicken, fish, etc) but always underpinned by earthworms.

Hope I have been of a little help.
regards

Puli

Reaction score
Hi!!! thank you all for the tips... I havent tested the water yet, I'll do it as soon as I can... and I will get earthworms for SURE!!! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1