Fluff on gills and red blisters on body

ilsa

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm desperate for information on how I can help my little fella Gus. He has been raised from egg and is about 10mnths old. Recently developed fluff on gills and eating very little. Changed water - use tank water, nothing different there - 3 other axies are fine. Tonight poor Gus has red blisters on his body and looks to be getting thin. I have been treating the water as I usually do when the fella's get a touch of fluff with Pimafix. The fluff on his gills does appear to be reducing and healing.
The only recent difference I can think of is burning candles & incense, although we have done this in the past with no ill effects.

A picture would be very hepful.

There are remedies you should use before resorting to bottled treatments for axies, like indian almond leaves and salt baths. Pimafix and melafix are not recommended for axies.

If you axie has fungus and blisters it would probably indictae a systemic infection, and should see a vet. In the short term you should isolate your sick axie, keep it cool, change the water daily and keep offering food.

Thanks, was recommended to use Pimafix years ago and by several sources here in Aus. I have not had any probs and good results so far.
I would like to know more about the Indian almond leaves. Can you tell me, are these a herb and how do I use please?

Thanks

thanks...will look into indian almond leaves. Have not heard of this before. My little guy is still unwell and I have separated and placed in fridge.
Very concerned about him. It is hard enough to find someone who knows what these guys are let alone how to treat them as a vet around here.
I'm open to any ideas. Not keen on salt baths but may have to if nothing else works.....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back