The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Daniel
(Cryowuff)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cryowuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fluid Retention in Axolotl Larvae

I've been having problems with this and it is causing me a wealth of stress and sadness. I don't have the space nor time to raise a full clutch of eggs, so I kept 15 out of my last clutch to raise. So far I have lost 6. 3 were runts, and 3 developed incurable fluid bloat and needed to be euthanized. As of tonight, a 4th has began to retain fluid and I am extremely worried. It doesn't seem to be contagious as the affection is random. My water quality is just fine, with daily changes and cleaning, and everyone else is very healthy at the moment.

Is there anything that could cause this to happen at such high rates? I'm guessing right now that it's genetic, as all but one baby who has developed edema showed developmental delay of some sort prior to the bloating. But I'm so scared of losing the babies I have left.

Cryowuff is offline   Reply With Quote