The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
ArwenX7

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ArwenX7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird readings from new tank...

I got my first axolotl on the 29th December. Stevie (the axie) is only around 3" and as my tank was not finished cycling I kept him in a largish tub (this to be exact http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes....ox-c2x12431119 ) and done daily water changes.
Stevie settled in very well, gills looking good, eating well and was very curious when we went up to the tub or sat close by.
I monitored the tank levels all week, and compared it to the ammonia readings from Stevie's tub.
Ammonia readings for the tub were around 0.25 to 0.50 after a day
The tank, is a constantly between 0.25 and 0.5 through out the week - with no water changes, and adding fish food every other day to try and create ammonia.

Tank is this one - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pe...%28in-store%29
(64l - 61cm x 44cm x 33cm )

Readings for Nitrate and Nitrites have always been 0 in the tank, even though it has now been going for 5 weeks. And I was adding Seachem Stability as per the instructions.

So I took the decision to put Stevie in the tank on Friday evening (4th Jan) after removing around 90% of the water (mostly to remove all the fish food...)
Stevie has been in the tank all weekend, I've done spot cleans but no water changes, aside from reducing the volume to around the half way mark, as Stevie seemed to be struggling to reach the surface - he seemed to really like going to the surface in the tub and "blowing bubbles".
Ammonia reading this morning was again, around 0.50.
Nitrite and nitrates are still both 0.
Since reducing the water level in the tank Stevie seems to be very happy, swimming around, hanging out in each of the hides and in the plants. Eating and pooping well, he always seems hungry!

I treat the water with Seachem Prime, so I am wondering if the fact this "Detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate" is why I am getting "weird" readings.

I do have multiple moss balls, a moss stick, 2 medium sized java ferns and a log planted with java fern and java moss. I would expect these to help keep the ammonia lower than if they were not there, but they should still provide a nitrate reading, right?

I am totally confused as to what is going on in my tank !

Picture of Stevie in the tank, cause he looks so tiny in it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190104_193112.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	54817  

ArwenX7 is offline   Reply With Quote