Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Weird readings from new tank...

ArwenX7

Reaction score
I got my first axolotl on the 29th December. Stevie (the axie) is only around 3" and as my tank was not finished cycling I kept him in a largish tub (this to be exact http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/9litre-really-useful-storage-box-c2x12431119 ) and done daily water changes.
Stevie settled in very well, gills looking good, eating well and was very curious when we went up to the tub or sat close by.
I monitored the tank levels all week, and compared it to the ammonia readings from Stevie's tub.
Ammonia readings for the tub were around 0.25 to 0.50 after a day
The tank, is a constantly between 0.25 and 0.5 through out the week - with no water changes, and adding fish food every other day to try and create ammonia.

Tank is this one - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/love-fish-panorama-tank-64-litre-(in-store)
(64l - 61cm x 44cm x 33cm )

Readings for Nitrate and Nitrites have always been 0 in the tank, even though it has now been going for 5 weeks. And I was adding Seachem Stability as per the instructions.

So I took the decision to put Stevie in the tank on Friday evening (4th Jan) after removing around 90% of the water (mostly to remove all the fish food...)
Stevie has been in the tank all weekend, I've done spot cleans but no water changes, aside from reducing the volume to around the half way mark, as Stevie seemed to be struggling to reach the surface - he seemed to really like going to the surface in the tub and "blowing bubbles".
Ammonia reading this morning was again, around 0.50.
Nitrite and nitrates are still both 0.
Since reducing the water level in the tank Stevie seems to be very happy, swimming around, hanging out in each of the hides and in the plants. Eating and pooping well, he always seems hungry!

I treat the water with Seachem Prime, so I am wondering if the fact this "Detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate" is why I am getting "weird" readings.

I do have multiple moss balls, a moss stick, 2 medium sized java ferns and a log planted with java fern and java moss. I would expect these to help keep the ammonia lower than if they were not there, but they should still provide a nitrate reading, right?

I am totally confused as to what is going on in my tank !

Picture of Stevie in the tank, cause he looks so tiny in it! :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20190104_193112.jpg
    IMG_20190104_193112.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 203

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Seachem prime can throw ammonia results, what test kit are you using? I usually wait a day or two before testing the tank water to avoid incorrect readings.

ArwenX7

Reaction score
I've been using the API master test kit - the liquid one.

Over the lat week I have gradually raised the water level to its full height. Stevie now seems fine with it and now regularly sits on the moss covered shelf I have put next the the filter to stop the water flow being too much!

I've been testing the water every few days at least, usually every day though. Doing about 20% water change when ever the ammonia went nearer the 1ppm mark. This ended up being every 3-4 days. The nitrite and nitrate readings kept being the same, until Friday, where the ammonia went to 0.25 Nitrite at 0 and Nitrate were 20ppm. I then did another test on Sunday and ammonia went to 0.5 Nitrite at 0 and Nitrate were around 30ppm so I did a water change.

Tested again last night and got ammonia went to 0 Nitrite at 0.5 and Nitrate were 40ppm. Done another water change... I still not entirely sure what's been going on with my water, but Stevie has been eating loads and has been happily exploring his tank, I cannot see any signs of stress or anything with him (added pictures, if you see anything concerning let me know :) ) so I'm just going to keep checking the water every day or so to keep an eye on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_183153.jpg
    IMG_20190122_183153.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20190121_195940.jpg
    IMG_20190121_195940.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20190120_214938.jpg
    IMG_20190120_214938.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 156

Hayleyy

Reaction score
From the results it looks like it is cycling through, keep up with what you're doing and everything should be okay :) Really pretty axolotl by the way!

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that the cycle has started Hayley. Just done another test and ammonia is 0 Nitrite somewhere between 2-5ppm and nitrates at 20ppm. So I've just done another water change. I'm so glad it has finally started behaving! :D

Stevie is lovely, so curious and already swims up to us when we go near the tank. Can definitely see me getting some more in future :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!