Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What might this be? Transparent poo blob

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
I found these 3 items in the bottom of the Axie tank.
Semi solid jelly blobs.

I have no snails, have not done anything different apart from change over to a new external filter.

I have a spray bar fixture on, and point it at the wall. Will actually try to further soften the flow with filter material or wrap a long moss plant round it.

As far as I know...both females!

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_140752.jpg
    IMG_20190108_140752.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 183

Ekmanor

Reaction score
I am equally as curious. I have no idea- perhaps regurgitated mucus or something of the sort?

Edit: could it be a spermatophore? Are you sure they are both females? I don’t breed axolotls, though many on here do, and many could try sexing them for you if you aren’t sure.

Last edited:

Sam Of Kent

Reaction score
Funnily enough I've had mixed feedback from Facebook groups - 60% say spermatophore...40% say not, and could be unfertilised eggs.

I have 2 axolotls, of different ages ..one is 3yr and looks Def female. The other is a young Golden of 1yr...and looks female. But I could be proven wrong??

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_222956__01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190108_222956__01-01.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_154697843168F__01.jpg
    IMG_154697843168F__01.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 118
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1