Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Ammonia/Nitrogen Cycle

Fireguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post here. So I have my new aquarium all set up and I bought Dr Timm's ammonia drops to add to my 20 gallon aquarium. It says to add 4 drops per gallon (so 80) to get 2ppm. I'm afraid that it didn't quite work out that way and my tests are registering 4ppm instead. On other forums people have said that it should be fine and the bacteria should be able to start the cycle no problem. I'm also using jumpstart beneficial bacteria. I'm currently on day 5 or 6 of the cycle but my ammonia levels haven't changed. Should I keep waiting or do a water change? Is it too early to tell if I messed up?:eek:

Tye

Reaction score
Cycling can takes weeks, even months. You're only a few days in, I wouldn't panic yet.
If you have someone with an established tank you can ask to borrow some of the filter media or a few decorations to try to introduce more beneficial bacteria into the tank and jump start the process. Waiting is always the hardest part.
I did my cycle using feeder fish and even then it took about two months for the cycle to finish.

Fireguy

Reaction score
Wow alright and I'm guessing it's going to be even longer for this tank since it's cold water for the axolotl? I don't know anyone with an aquarium which is why I'm using bottled beneficial bacteria but I'm not sure if it's working. But I'm scared that it's because I put too much ammonia in the tank.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
If the tank is currently empty which is what it sounds like, I think it's ok if you heat the tank (or stop using a cooler) during the duration of the cycling process to make things comfier for the bacteria, and then simply get it to the right temp once youre ready to introduce your axi. But yes even in optimum conditions the cycling process can take a long time

Fireguy

Reaction score
It's in my basement which is always around 15-17 C so I don't need a cooler. I also don't have a fish tank heater either anymore so I guess I'll just let it be for now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!