Swollen cloaca

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
Hello all, I have a 55g setup with 3 axolotls, one male and 2 females, all about 8-9 months old. The male has developed a swollen cloaca over the past 48 hours and it's greatly worrying me. Is he just sexually developing? Or possibly constipated?

Water parameters are great, I do regular water changes and cleanings and have a heavily planted tank.

Sand substrate, lots of hides, and I run the filter a few hours a day so the flow doesn't stress them.

The diet is pretty much 100% earthworms, occasionally bloodworms and salmon pellets.
What's going on here? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 125
Turns out it was just constipation. Woke up the next morning to find a HUGE axolotl dump and a much less swollen cloaca.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back