The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
Grey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Grey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Tank cycled and then everyone was sad

I have a 20 gallon tank with two teenage axies. I was doing in-tank cycling (not my first choice, but circumstances demanded), and it finally cycled, but I've been seeing a variety of warning symptoms since. I could use some extra eyes on what I've seen and what I'm doing to see if I'm missing anything. Here's what's been going on:

Two weeks ago: The tank is in the process of cycling. While I'm traveling, my pet sitter is checking ammonia and doing daily water changes. Leucitic starts going off food for a couple days at a time.

Last week: I return from travel and notice that the leucitic has tiny pink spots all over his body, slightly raised like tiny pimples. I also notice some gunk on the wild's gills that seems like it might be fungus, but it brushes off easily. I also notice two protrusions on the wild's tail. They look like small spikes of skin sticking out. I test parameters and find that the tank has cycled! Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates easily managed with water changes. I figure there was a Nitrite spike that the sitter didn't notice and that's what caused the issues. Appetites seem to improve.

This week: Appetites are intermittent. They'll eat one day and then not eat the next few. Leucitic in particular is not eating much at all. I test pH and find it super low (less than or equal to 6). I do water changes to bring it up, but the water coming out of the tap is only 6.6, so I can pH has stead around 6.4-6.6.

Yesterday: Added crushed lava rock to the filter in an attempt to bring up the pH.

Today: PH still 6.4-6.6. Leucitic still has pink spots, though they may be fainter? The maybe-fungus has not returned on the wild, but the tail spikes are still there. Through this whole affair I've seen curled tail tips and sometimes forward-curling gills.

Have I taken the right steps? Am I missing something? Further suggestions?

Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
Grey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Grey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tank cycled and then everyone was sad

Photos of the pink spots and tail spikes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_234014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	54839   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190106_220025.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	54840  

Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Tank cycled and then everyone was sad

What is the temperature of their water?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote