Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Lined Wood Frog

bobberly1

Reaction score
While mowing the lawn I caught what I can best describe as a wood frog, but which has two distinct red lines going down its back as opposed to the colorless ones I saw in my field guide. Is this anything special? Does anyone have any tips on keeping them?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
What is is depends on where you live.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Wood frogs are often highly variable even within the same population. At one locale you can find highly mottled, monochrome, or striped individuals. In addition to the two red dorsolateral folds it sounds like you're describing, some wood frogs will have a third line extending down the midline of the back from the tip of the snout.

They can be maintained in a fairly simple woodland terrarium with plenty of leaves and a wet area at one end. Wild caught wood frogs are usually very eager feeders, and should be fed a variety of invertebrates including worms, woodlice, and various insects.

bobberly1

Reaction score
Are you sure that they need a wet area? From What I've read they breed in the early spring and venture far from the water source. I caught this one far from a water source as well.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
They need a water source of some sort as, like all amphibians, they obtain water through their skin (a "drink" patch in the pelvic region in this and most terrestrial frogs). It does not have to be a deep section, 1cm or or so of water over dead oak leaves in one corner is fine. Most of the tank should be terrestrial area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!