Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

30 cm P. waltl?

PereJosa

Reaction score
Re: 30 cm

In the Catalonian region, this newt live wild, the more bigger animal documented ( wild) is 23cms. Anybody have a photos of a big pleurodeles?

Bye

fishkeeper

Reaction score

s'posedly based on some older literature 15-16 inches isn't unheard of.

I guess that in captivity they are limited due to tank size(lets start this debate again!), or perhaps diet?(though they undoubtly eat better in captivity than in the wild.)

aramcheck

Reaction score

s'posedly based on some older literature 15-16 inches isn't unheard of.

I guess that in captivity they are limited due to tank size(lets start this debate again!), or perhaps diet?(though they undoubtly eat better in captivity than in the wild.)

Actually, they might grow bigger if there is competition for prey items, and not if food is abundant. This is common with insects, so why not with those guys?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

That´s interesting. It´s known for some ambystomatid larvae (i think it was A.tigrinum) to grow bigger (and if i remember properly, even to change diets) in conditions of high competition, so it´s possible something similar affected Pleurodeles.
I have a friend who has seen huge females in the wild, i´ll try to ask him for some pics. I have no idea if those were even close to 30cm though...

wouter

Reaction score

I have seen a increadibly huge individual in a very deep well near the Rio Tierar, Sierra de Gredos, this summer. The animal must be stuck there, already for several years. It appears it doesn't mind at all. This one certainly comes near 30 cm, if it isnt that large already. I could not capture it back than due to the rusty ladder leading into the well. If anyone of the Spanish people is interested please pm me and go measure it!

Yahilles

Reaction score

When friend shown me picture of 40 cm female (he said so, but it was surely HUGE) i believed that 30 cm waltls are normal speciemens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!