One eyed Pleurodeles

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Has anyone seen this before? This larva has survived and morphed and has an abnormally small eye on one side of the body, and no eye on the other. Another that I raised has one normal eye and another that appears degenerate...small and completely black.

canon043.jpg

normal larva for comparison.

canon029.jpg

These photos were taken several months ago. Newer photos pending.

My female axolotl looks like that. I thought she was melanoid initially, because of the lack of eye-rings. As she got bigger, I realized it was because she never really developed eyes.

I also have a blue-spotted salamander that is completely lacking one eye. I don't believe it ever developed.

I've seen it a lot in vulgaris and alpestris before, this is the first waltl though. That one is a bit on the inbred side, so that could have something to do with it's condition. It looks good!

Thanks! More recent pictures forthcoming.

The interesting thing is that it is actually doing better than some of the normal ones. It and two other "rejects"(runts and a newt that kept getting buoyancy problems) are with it. It has grown much bigger than them and is the best feeder...though missing an eye on one side it can still see.(I doubt these guys need their sight for much anyway with the lateral line and sense of smell) I put in a few guppies and it rather than the fully sighted ones ended up eating them!

My only question now is what to do with this thing.

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Note eye much smaller than normal, seeming to be pupil only.

If anyone wants him I'd be happy to cover shipping. Would make a great pet but certainly not a breeder. He eats too much.

Lovely pictures, he would make a great pet, shame I'm on the other side of the water!

Yes, it will make a good pet, but should always be housed by itself or with another of the same sex.

aawww bless! if you werent so far he/she could join my crew - i have males and females, but don't plan on breeding them as a couple in there are related. i LOVE this species! mine actually swim over to me as they must have learned to associate me with food! it really is time i posted some pics of mine.........

do you find your females eat way more than the males? i have one female who is the biggest pig! always ready to snap at whatever enters the tank! i even went to clean out a turd from the tank and she swam over and had a snap at it! spat it straight back out :lol:

Most definetly. I make sure they get their fill though! Its funny how the males have the buff arms and broad shoulders. I suppose from its appetite this one could be a female. I don't pay any special attention to it but it makes up for its lack of ability by its effort...the slightest scent of food instantly gets him/her running around in circles biting anything touched,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back