My first Spanish Rib Eggs!

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
cichlidjedi
About a week ago I pulled about 40 eggs and every few days there seems to be a few more laid. I have a group of a dozen Spanish ribs in a 75 gallon aquarium and at least one female is laying. Now I have about 9 hatched eggs and the larval are starting to swim and not laying on their sides. Below are some pictures, but my camera is so ghetto and does not take good close-up shoots. I will add more pictures as eggs hatch and larval morph into larger tadpoles.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,814
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 962
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 786
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 785
Congrats on the P. walt eggs! It is always an exciting proud moment when you find eggs.
Keep us updated and good luck!

Mitch

How old are the parents and how many of the do you have?
Congrats! I eagerly await my first eggs.

I have a group of 12 animals in a 75 gallon aquarium. To be honest there are at least 4 females based on the females involved in amplexsis with the males. I added two larger females two my group and that is what sparked the breeding. I confirmed two females for sure that are laying and they are about 11 inches a piece, big girls. for the last week I have been pulling a few eggs a day. I have around 18 tadpoles and about 40 fertile eggs waitng to hatch. Many of the original eggs I pulled fungused over and I assume were not fertile. I currently have the tadpoles in a plastic tub with and airstone, I'm feeding them live baby brineshrimp currently. Goodluck with your group, to be honest they did all the work and I didn't do anything special to get them to lay except that they have a higher water level. The tank is around 70 degrees F and during the fall and winter it will drop down to around 50.

I looking forward to seeing that in my group, congrates !!
Rob

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back