Spanish Ribbed Newts - heads always out of water - help!

LeFarge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys... I have 3 juvie Spanish Ribbed Newts from forum member Morg -- healthy, eating and pooing fine. I have two questions -

1. They swim a lot. A LOT. Is this normal?

2. Last few days they have all had their heads out of water as much as possible. Water parameters are fine... but what does this mean? I am attaching two pictures?

They have a land area which they can easily get on and sometimes use...

Attachments

• newtheads.jpg
    newtheads.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,875
  • newtheads2.jpg
    newtheads2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3,675
Re: Spannish Ribbed Newts - heads always out of water - help!

It does not seem out of the ordinary, my guys swim all the time and when they are not swimming they are up in the plants with their heads out of the water. Most of the time they are cruising around looking for grub. Plus my water depth is twice their body length.:blob:

I agree, it seems perfectly normal to me; my tank is 24" deep so the newts are usually either patrolling the bottom of the tank, or lazily "resting" with their head just above the waterline (females especially :confused:) just like in your pictures. I think they simply enjoy having plants or driftwood ect. just below the waterline to rest upon and relax sometimes. Swimming 24/7 has got to be tiring :p

If the newt in the first photo is standing on the tank floor I'd say your water depth is a little shallow. Give them as much water as you can. They like swimming - give them something to swim in :) I've never kept them in less than a foot of water.

If they stick their heads out of water almost all the time and when submerged swim in a frantic manner, i´d suspect either inadequate temperature or water quality issues. As Mark points out, you´d do well in increasing the volume of water very significantly. The more water you give them the better.

we raised the water level quite a bit and they seem happier... but still like to sit on the plants with just the top of their heads out... water quality fine... as is temp...

A bit late in my reply, but in case it helps.....

Could it be lack of oxygen in the water? My SRN rarely sit with their heads out of the water, but they do swim around a hell of a lot during summer months.

How are your newts doing now, behaviour-wise, since increasing the water depth? I'm interested because I'm down-grading mine to a slightly smaller tank and was thinking of increasing the waters depth to compensate for the loss of width.....

yeah they are fine... now have deeper water and more oxygenating plants and they are happy... rarely have their heads out of water now... they are happily active, always looking for food

Great news! Yep, mine are like dustbins and will even go for fingers.... Got to love this species!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back