P.nebulosa

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
I bought a pair of P.nebulosa from BAKs (British Amphibian Keeprs society) a couple months ago. They were a sexed pair of this years young, I was hoping that they would lay next year but they layed the day after I took them home (lol). I had two batches of thirty eggs within a couple of weeks of each other , mostly duds, first batch was ten good eggs and I have ten larvae around an inch atm, the second batch had twelve good eggs which I split and sent to Mr cyclone and kettering bloke. They seem to be a very alert newt, always snooping round for food though this may be because they are now on a diet as I think I was over feeding them, they are on chopped worms, baby axolotls and amphibian pellets. Hopefully I may get another batch of eggs soon.
xxianxx-albums-me-my-stuff-picture31123-adult-p-nebulosa.jpg

xxianxx-albums-me-my-stuff-picture31124-hatchling-p-nebulosa.jpg

Firstly it is nebulosus to be correctly and second...I think you have Pleurodeles waltl judging from the picture (it seems they have orange warts at the tip of the ribs and the black spots also are not typical for nebulosus). Sadly wrong determination regularly occurs. But if you put up a better and sharper picture of the animals I can tell for sure. Anyway, the fact that they breed this quickly also reminds me more of P. waltl. Good luck with raising.

Yeah, everything seems off for nebulosus. The spotting should not be there if they were nebulosus (which have a reticulated pattern).
I´m afraid what BAKs have are almost certainly P.waltl.

I have seen missidentified animals in other forums too and i´m starting to wonder if it´s not a mistake but rather a purposeful lie told by some interested party, like a breeder(s)...

will try to get some more pics up, I would be very irked if they are waltl as I have a colony of ten breeding adults and about 200 larvae

Have had the same response on fb groups about these guys being P.waltl, have contacted the seller

There are P.waltl being sold as nebolosus or poireti in the pet shops here. Very confusing, even for people who have some significant newt knowledge. All waltl though.

There are P.waltl being sold as nebolosus or poireti in the pet shops here. Very confusing, even for people who have some significant newt knowledge. All waltl though.

So it´s not just here then...except here it´s somewhat worse since they sell them with no paperwork, which was one of the reasons i imagined for the false ID. Breed P.waltl on mass because they are easy as hell, sell them as nebulosus and if somebody asks "oh no, no, these don´t need any papers, these aren´t native"...

They look nothing like my Nebulosa

Hey Ian, kind of off topic but what kind of snail is in with your newt? One of mine looks exactly like that. Pond snail?

Idk...... just a pond snail, the ones I prefer are greater pond snails, they dont harm the plants and get really big

These are very cool Ian, I hope to get some of these in the US some day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back