Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Origins of Leucistic Pleurodeles Waltl

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I've done quite a few searches on here and the general internet, and I can't seem to find much information on the origins of leucistic P.waltl. So, I'm wondering, where do leucistic Pleurodeles Waltl come from? Are they naturally occurring in the wild or did they come from breedings in captivity?

Stuart

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They appear every now and then in various spanish populations. Adult specimens have been observed several times, as well as albinos, hypomelanistics, etc. Since it's a species that frequently inhabits heavily sedimented water masses with minimum or nill visibility and they will remain aquatic year-round if given the chance, these kinds of mutations (as long as they are not associated to others) don't seem to have much of a deleterious effect on their survival.
The origin of the captive population is...uncertain. Of course, as it couldn't be any other way you have people claiming to be the original producers of the only genetic line in existence, but in support of this all we get is the claim and nothing else. Nothing confirmed to a reasonable degree. Considering that they are not an isolated ocurrence in the wild, and how widespread they are today, it's not far fetched to assume independent illegal collections and therefore independent genetic lines, which at this point may have merged.
Regardless of their origin, their future seems more certain, and it's not good...Yet another species that falls prey to ridiculous standards of selection applied at any and all costs.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Regardless of their origin, their future seems more certain, and it's not good...Yet another species that falls prey to ridiculous standards of selection applied at any and all costs.

It may not be, but I thought it was worth asking, is this a similar situation to leucistic/Flavistic Triturus Carnifex?

Stuart

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not really. The flavistic carnifex mutation is lethal in homozygosis and it's apparently linked to reduced fertility and life span. The leucistic waltls don't seem to have any associated deleterious effects (other than no protective pigmentation), the problem with them is going to be the progressive loss of genetic variability through inbreeding, bottleneck effects, further selection as new mutants appear, etc.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I thought that would be the case, still very interesting though.

Stuart

bombinafreak

Reaction score
I have a few Stuart, I will sort you out with some eggs soon as the males have developed nuptial pads and I'm sure the females will be ready very very soon. :happy:

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Thanks Alex, I just saw this - would it be possible to buy a few juveniles though? I'll be raising so many species this season that I don't have time to raise another from eggs.

Stuart

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1