Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Definitive care info for ribbed newts?

ChristineB

Reaction score
In looking for books or websites devoted specifically to ribbed newts, I really haven't found much! It seems like they're always just a caresheet or subsection within general newt care. Is it just because they're so adaptable they don't need it? The funny thing is, there's some contradictions between experienced breeders online. One was saying to keep them at room temperature and RAISE it to induce breeding, one to keep them cool but get even COLDER for breeding. Everyone agrees to raise water levels so that must be the main thing! One said he breeds pairs in 10-gallon tanks, one said minimum 30 gallons for a trio, etc. Seems like pH should be about 7.0, folks agree.

Is there a definitive "expert" opinion to defer to on these guys? On here it seems like most people treat them like axolotls with a cork raft, so that's what I've been doing, except I turn off the cooling fan at night since it seems like a rise up to room temp isn't too stressful for them (It's also been very cold at night in my house, anyway). I'm watching water quality closely since my tank cycle isn't stable yet, and my juvenile newt seems happy and active, and is eating well daily, but I'm just curious if there's an information resource I've missed in my googling. :happy:

ChristineB

Reaction score
Thanks, I found that and it's very helpful. I guess I was thinking more of the less practical info like personality, growth rate, other habits. I noticed the Caudata.org care sheet doesn't weigh in on tank size or lifespan. I suppose I can mostly just observe, but still curious about stuff like why some care sheets note they get smaller and live much less long in captivity. Here's what I've turned up if anyone has any comments on the quality of info:
AmphibiaWeb - Pleurodeles waltl
Breed Spanish Ribbed Newts
Pet Newts: Spanish Ribbed Newt Care and Breeding (this link is also very helpful and is by a caudata.org site contributor)
Spanish Ribbed Newt Pleurodeles waltl - Reptile Apartment
https://www.rightpet.com/AmphibianDetail/spanish-ribbed-newt#

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They are one of the easiest salamanders to care for. They will eat most diets. Ribbed newts are such voracious eaters that overfeeding can be a problem. Sexing of adults is easy because the male develops rough black nuptial pads on the inside of it's arms for amplexus. Changes in temperature or water chemistry will trigger breeding. I prefer to do a huge water change on adult ribbed newts with cool water to trigger breeding. Using warmer water will trigger breeding too but as a rule salamanders do better in cooler water. Hundreds of eggs are laid at a time. Larvae are small and do well started on newly hatched artemia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1