Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles poireti

N

nate

Some juvenile/young adult P. poireti photos for your perusal.

<center>
8446.jpg
</center>

<center>
8447.jpg
</center>

<center>
8448.jpg
</center>

<center>
8449.jpg
</center>

H

henk

Mine just set off eggs right now, while I was away for a family holiday... they ate the eggs and all that remained was empty eggs... Apparently the dropping of the temperatures which occured during those days triggered the offset. Hope it is of any help for others to try and breed them. Will retry to breed them in a month or so...

Z

zuccone

Very interesting pics, Nate but I also have several questions about P.poireti :

- what is the size of adults ?
- Do you have some available pics of their tank ?
- What are the main specific parameters of the juveniles set up ?
- do they need a terrestrial period after metamorphosis ?

Thank you very much in advance.

J

joeri

I was at our local petshop and I spotted 3 pl.poireti. Though I had my camera with me, luck wasn't on my side. Batteries ran out after a few pictures
sad.gif

Pl.Poireti juvenile taking his chances on a corydoras panda.
15002.jpg

15003.jpg

J

joeri

Oh yes, as you may have expected. He didn't eat the poor fish. Not sure if the fish recovered though.

N

nate

Interesting...wonder where they came from. Good thing he didn't eat the cory, there is an account at CC of a Pleurodeles dying after trying to eat one.

A

angelina

How can you tell the difference between P. waltl and P. poireti? My P. waltls look just like your pics.

H

henk

I would think the last pictures (with the corydoras) concern P. waltl juveniles since you can see the orange lateral dots.. which the poiretti don't have. An they do look like they are hungry

J

joeri

Are you sure? They had a bright belly; wich I can't remember my waltls to have when they were juveniles. On the other hand don't really know the distinguishing characteristics of those 2 species.

S

sergé

yep, they are pleurodeles waltl, sadly many traders ell pleurodeles waltl as pleurodeles poireti..especially in Belgium and the Netherlands, why I don't know. But the ones you have Joeri are waltl...

S

sergé

p.s. the orange (or yellowish) dots on the points of the ribs are the best and easiest difference, but mostly the spots on the belly are large in waltl and small or none in poireti. Also do poireti often have a yellow ish belly whereas in waltl it is mostly dirty white, greyish.

J

joeri

What a late reaction
happy.gif

By now I had already figured it out myself, but thanks anyway.

btw: I didn't buy the newt above. I just took pictures. But I do have waltls. See other topic for fresh baby pictures

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1