Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

feeding spanish ribbed newt

W

wm.

I would like a suggestion for feeding. I am using Salmon pellets now to feed my spanish ribbed newts and my undetermined fire bellies. The question how to feed the in the water while still being able to retrieve the food not eaten? I have a gravel bottom. Should I clear an area? Thanks

J

jennifer

Are you sure the firebellies are eating it? Most of them don't like pellets. Also, I assume you are not keeping them in the same tank.

I'd suggest keeping part of the tank bottom clear of gravel. Otherwise, you have to use a gravel-washing siphon after every feeding, and that gets old quick.

W

wm.

Thanks. No, They are is separate tanks. The Fire Bellies are new so I'm not sure if they eat them or not. I also feed them frozen Blood Worms. Is there a better way to feed them?

J

jennifer

Frozen bloodworms will be more likely to get eaten by firebellies. You can try putting the food on a plate, sitting on top of the gravel. Then remove the leftovers after feeding. Also, if you feed earthworm chunks, they may be big enough that they don't get down into the gravel. They can be removed with a basting bulb or fish net.

Good luck with getting them to eat - and the inevitable clean-up!

J

joeri

I have not yet found a decent way to feed my pleuro's and not having to clean the tank afterwards. My newts rush through the (un)frozen blood worms like a madman and so it spreads around. Try to learn how much your newts need and don't give more, saves you cleaning, but there will always be leftovers. Nothing to do about.

Earthworms are easier, no leftovers when you don't give to much. As the bits are bigger they will always be found. Same for fly larvae.

Here's an overview of food suggested on caudata.org for pleuros. Some are easier to obtain, some spoil your tank less. Check that site for more usefull info ;)

<u>Aquatic Larvae:</u>
» Black Worms
» Blood Worms (finely chopped)
» Brine Shrimp (newly hatched)
» Copepods
» Daphnia
» Earthworms (finely chopped)
» Fish Flakes (finely crushed)
» Grindal Worms
» Microworms
» Tubifex Worms (finely chopped)
» Paramecium
» Scuds (Amphipods)
» White worms

<u>Semi-Aquatic Adolescent:</u>
» Black Worms
» Blood Worms
» Crickets (gut-loaded pinheads - 2 week)
» Earthworms/night crawlers (chopped)
» Flour Beetles & Larvae
» Fly Larvae (small)
» Fruit Flies & Larvae
» Grindal Worms
» Grubs
» Rice Beetles & Larvae
» Springtails
» Tubifex Worms
» White Worms

<u>Semi-Aquatic Adult:</u>
» Black Worms
» Blood Worms
» Earthworms (chopped)
» Fly Larvae (maggots)
» Flour Beetles & Larvae
» Grubs
» Rice Beetles & Larvae
» Tubifex Worms
» Waxworms (small)
» White Worms

greetings
Joeri

W

wm.

Pleurodeles waiti - I use a clear petri dish for the pellets than I use long forceps to retrieve/place the dish. This seems to work pretty well for me. I sometimes feed them crickets using the forceps and they take the food from me.

(Message edited by gsimpler on April 02, 2004)

I

isaiah

I think a better questions for waltls is what won't they eat. Mine is a swimming trash can and about a foot long. I have not seen any food item refused, they will even eat redworms.

I

i.

I saw my pleuro catch a fish once, I was pretty amaezed. They're pretty clumsy usually. And yes, mine will eat anything too, and too much if I don't watch out the quantity.

A

angelina

Hi Isaiah,
Your Pleuro is a foot long? Wow, I knew they got big but from what I've read they don't always get that big in captivity. How old?
I feed my Pleuros bloodworms, but want to try earthworms. Does anyone know if the earthworms you can buy in bait shops are of the same quality as buying them over the internet?

J

jennifer

Angelina, the worms from a bait shop are fine. Also, Walmart sells them in the fishing department.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1