Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blog Visibility

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to complicate things, but I'm afraid I have another question.

In our Preferences and Permissions, our Permissions and Privacy options are defined between members on Contact list, members on Ignore list, and Everyone Else. I do not see a way to differentiate between "everyone else registered" and "everyone else in the world". In other words, if I disable the "everyone else" option to "hide" from anonymous readers, am I also hiding from those who are registered, logged on, and just not (yet!) on my list of contacts/friends?

I would hate to miss someone's work just because I don't "know" them yet. (Haven't found the magical button to befriend all registered users at once, you see - but I'm working on it!)

I made a picture (attached) of the blog list when I am logged on and when not, but it doesn't help much because either they are visible in both cases, or they are on my Friends list. If you see things that I don't (when logged on), that might help to explain a bit further what I'm trying to illustrate.

-Eva

Attachments

• 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 235

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless I stop everyone not registered from reading all blog entries, yes you are right that only people on your contacts list will be able to read if you have the allow "everyone else" unchecked.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright I have to ask this question. Would people prefer only a minimum of a registered user can view blogs or can unregistered people? The reason is because if I set it so only registered users can view blogs then the "everyone else" allowed or not allowed to view your blog option in your profile will mean that if you allow everyone else, any registered user can read but no unregistered people. If that makes sense.

Saspotato

Reaction score
I would prefer that the blog only be available for any registered member, not the general public. If I am going to write about my personal life then I want to choose who can view it. I am happy for Caudata members to view it but probably not just anybody on the web. However, if the majority want it otherwise, that's cool, I'll only write what I am comfortable with the entire world being able to view :p

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - I would like another opinion or two and then I'll make a decision.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My vote goes in the "only registered uses can see the blog" camp.

madeve

Reaction score
I'm with Sarah and Mark, I think only registered users should be able to view the blogs. If someone is that interested in reading my blog they can always register I suppose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1