Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

95 days later

ummi

Reaction score
the first three terrestris left the water after 95 days.

just before I put them in an oblique basin, that no one is drowning; then into the terrarium at the dinner table with Enchyträen, micro-crickets, woodlice and Drosophilla...Enjoy your meal,

Attachments

• one by one.jpg
    one by one.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 584
  • handy.jpg
    handy.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 464
  • 1.Landgänger 013 (Groß).jpg
    1.Landgänger 013 (Groß).jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Landgänger-Becken 003 (Groß).jpg
    Landgänger-Becken 003 (Groß).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 488
  • Landgang 002 (Groß).jpg
    Landgang 002 (Groß).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 445
  • Landgang 003 (Groß).jpg
    Landgang 003 (Groß).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 445
  • Landgang 008 (Groß).jpg
    Landgang 008 (Groß).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Landgang 009 (Groß).jpg
    Landgang 009 (Groß).jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 566

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations on those beautiful youngsters. I just love the larvae of this species, i can´t wait to be able to have my own. I never tire of watching them in the wild, they are just fantastic.

I have a question for you, if you don´t mind. I see this are the red variant, i´m assuming red solling form? I´m very curious about wether this red variant´s coloration is dependent on diet to some or any extent as happens in so many other salamandrids. Do you feed your larvae with carotene rich foods? Have you seen variations in coloration when different diets are provided?
The trait is clearly genetic, but i wonder if diet plays any role.

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: 95 days later

It is southern Germany - 700km from Solling
the yellow and red larvae received the same diet, even if you have give the red larvae feed exclusively carotene-free, it does not affect the color.
There are nuances that some have a bright red and others a darker, regardless of the feed,

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, thanx! It was to be expected that S.salamandra can produce its own red pigment, but i was just curious since other salamandrids don´t.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
but i was just curious since other salamandrids don´t.

Other salamandrids dont? What about kweichowensis, cynops, paramesotriton, pachytriton bellies among others? Isnt that red they develop?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And in the case of Cynops, Pachytriton, Paramesotriton and many others, red pigmentation is entirely dependent on DIET. There´s clearly a split between groups that can synthesize their own, and those who can´t. I was just curious to find out a little more about this.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
T. kweichowensis will develop red no matter what and when I used to breed H. orientalis they would have nice reddish bellies and I would offer the larvae mosquito larvae and tiny chopped earthworms. Therefore other salamandrids also do develop natural red coloring as far as stated, being kweichowensis the best example I guess.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, and that´s why i didn´t include T.kweichowensis in my list.
H.orientalis and the others mentioned, plus a few more genera, can´t synthesize their own red pigments. This is very well stablished.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1