Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are live plants healthy for FBNs?

Tee

Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I will soon be a fire belly newt mom and I was wondering if live plants are good for them? If so which ones are recommended? Thank you!

:D

JM29

Reaction score
Hello!

I have Chinese FBN and Japanese FBN with live plants (Egeria densa).
The plants help keeping a good water quality and offer support to the newts near the surface.
Of course, these plants need light and no heating.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Knowing the species would be important since the name "firebelly newt" is used for various species from up to four different genera, with different biologies and needs. Mind you, most of them will do very well in a heavily planted tank.
Also, before you buy any "firebelly newts" please know that all of the newts available at pet shops are wild-caught and imported in terrible conditions. This takes a huge toll of lifes and suffering every year. Also, as a costumer you'd be acquiring an animal which is likely to do badly, as they frequently develop infections, refuse to eat, etc...
If you want newts, first make sure to get properly informed, which means reading until your eyes bleed. Also make sure to have everything ready way before hand, tank cycled, food cultures going, etc. Only then should you consider which species is most suitable to you and start looking for breeders who can provide you with healthy, captive-bred animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!