Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First Axolotl/tank - Advice?

Arcadian

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So a few weeks ago I got my very first Axolotl (Spyro) and ever since then I've been rearranging the tank like mad trying to get it right.

Initially I found that the temperature was getting to around 22.5/23 degrees even in the coolest room of the house so I bought a cooler last week and have spent a few days setting it up. The temperature is now a constant 18 and Spyro could not be happy - bombing around the tank like mad and eating better! Well worth the (expensive) purchase. It's a weight off my mind too as I'm one of these people that is obsessed with animals being happy (my bearded dragon is spoiled beyond belief).

I just wanted to post a few photos of the tank as it is so far - it's a 60 litre at the moment but I do know that I'll need to upgrade as Spyro gets bigger which isn't a problem. Is there anything obvious to the experienced owners out there that maybe doesn't look quite right or maybe it's too overcrowded? I'm still new and not 100% sure what they love/hate.

Thanks!

25tkbko.jpg

2n70chu.jpg

omtc8.jpg

Emma18

Reaction score
I am not super experienced but I have had my axie Hubble for about 6 months. Your aquarium is beautiful! You might need some new bigger hides for him when he gets bigger though. Other than that it looks great, at least to me:p Your axie is so cute by the way!

Emma18

Reaction score
I just remembered that if you don't have a cover you probably should, axies can jump out of tanks, at least that is what I have read.

Arcadian

Reaction score
Thanks Emma! Hubble is a great name!

Yeah I'm all prepared for when he/she gets bigger :uhoh:

I do have a cover - I just took it off for the photos as I had been messing around with the layout. Now I have a cooler, I keep the top on more (not to mention it looks better)

Emma18

Reaction score
Thanks Arcadian. Spyro Is a really cool name too:D It sounds like you are set up! You really did your research! One more thing, you probably know but it looked like you had a light for the aquarium, and axolotls are sensitive to light. But that is all that I could think of. I wish I had your tank:D It is so pretty:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!