Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl owner, following everything by the book

JoesAxolotls

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
I'm new to owning axolotls, and I just discovered this site. It seems great!
I just got my first axolotl (a juvenile albino that the breeder believes to be a male) five days ago, and I figured I'd introduce myself and ask for some advice straight away so that I can take the best care of him possible.
He's very small, just about the size of my thumb. I keep him in a 20 gallon long tank with a sediment of natural fine freshwater sand, and with six water plants and a cave to hide in. His water is about 60-62 degrees (I have a thermometer in his tank). His tank has a mesh lid with a small cutout for the filter, and I keep my ceiling fan on a low setting to keep it cool (I noticed it was 68 the first day). His water is dechlorinated tap water, for which I have a filter with three filter sheets. The filter is set on the lowest setting so as not to disrupt the water and stress the axolotl. I feed him live blackworms with a pipette every other day. He seems to be enjoying himself so far, but any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you
(Also, how do I post pictures on mobile?)

Last edited:

roxannestags

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!
I'm new to owning axolotls, and I just discovered this site. It seems great!
I just got my first axolotl (a juvenile albino that the breeder believes to be a male) five days ago, and I figured I'd introduce myself and ask for some advice straight away so that I can take the best care of him possible.
He's very small, just about the size of my thumb. I keep him in a 20 gallon long tank with a sediment of natural fine freshwater sand, and with six water plants and a cave to hide in. His water is about 60-62 degrees (I have a thermometer in his tank). His tank has a mesh lid with a small cutout for the filter, and I keep my ceiling fan on a low setting to keep it cool (I noticed it was 68 the first day). His water is dechlorinated tap water, for which I have a filter with three filter sheets. The filter is set on the lowest setting so as not to disrupt the water and stress the axolotl. I feed him live blackworms with a pipette every other day. He seems to be enjoying himself so far, but any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you
(Also, how do I post pictures on mobile?)
From what it sounds like you are taking excellent care of him. Welcome to the wonderful world of owning axolotls. I started with 1 and now have 12 adults, 7 babies hatched in the last few days and 50ish eggs waiting to hatch

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

MamaPluto

Reaction score
If he's only the size of your thumb, it would be incredibly difficult to guess at its sex (unless you have very long thumbs!) There's a lot of really great resources here. :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!