Seeking help with my new tank!

Jaden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Jaden~
Hello everyone! Well, I am new to Axolotl's, but I am getting one right away.

I have just bought a 29 gallon tank, with the dimensions being 30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H. I am wondering how many Axolotls I could put in here? Also, what sort of things should I be filling it with?

Also. I know this isnt the right place for this question, but I figure its easier than making a new topic. What are the best things to feed an Axolotl?

All responses are appreciated, as I am just looking for some tips. Thanks!:happy:

I am new to Axolotl's, but I am getting one right away. I have just bought a 29 gallon tank, with the dimensions being 30-3/16"L x 12-1/2"W x 18-3/4"H.
You say you just bought the tank but you're getting an axolotl right away. The tank needs to be cycled before introducing your axolotl and this could take as long as a few months.

I'd only put one axolotl in the tank but that's my personal opinion, I don't know the absolute minimum size for more than one so someone else could hopefully help you. My tank is very basic as it is still cycling but the things that I have in it are; sand substrate, a reptile log, two fake plants, an air stone, a feeding jar and a filter.

The best thing to feed axolotls are worms I believe. I feed mine frozen blood worm cubes, live earthworms and axolotl pellets.

Hope this helps!

my_tank.png
Thanks! I have a sand substrate, a reptile log/bonsai hide, and 7 fake plants. I just filled it today, and will be starting cycling it within the next couple days. & I do not know when my Axolotl will be here.The pet shop just told me they will be trying to get one in for me, and that was on June 1st. Thanks for the help though!

Here are the pictures of my tank, I am thinking about adding rocks? Also, the light is only used for showing it off. Also, should I have more water in it? :s All suggestions are appreciated.

http://i47.tinypic.com/sqt461.png
http://tinypic.com/r/sqt461/6

Last edited:
I am thinking about adding rocks? Also, the light is only used for showing it off. Also, should I have more water in it?

What kind of rocks are you thinking about? If you mean placing rocks as a layer over the sand then you'll have to move them frequently and clean around/underneath them thoroughly (just using a siphon) to remove any waste such as food, poop etc that may be hiding. This could probably end up being a pain in the butt :p If you just mean something similar to the log i.e. a large rock feature then I don't see a problem with this, as long as there aren't any sharp edges that can cause injury to the axolotl's skin.

The level of the water seems okay and seeing as though there is a lid/cover on top, it probably couldn't hurt to fill it up that little bit further. Again that's personal choice but the more water the better ;)

I filled it up so there is about an inch and a half of free space at the top. For the rocks, I just meant maybe a pile of 3 or 4 rocks, or one larger one, sort of a thing to crawl on, rather than just plain sand x) I am so excited for my axolotl to come !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back