DIY/ Homemade hides

Thanks again for the inspiration :D

I got crafty today - thanks to heavy rain I was stuck at home & got creative with an old bucket & some plastic containers :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359715272.290433.jpg
This one is a 4way opening each side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359715310.420000.jpg
The leftovers of a small bucket
(The other larger bit is still in the todo pile of hides to be made)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359715388.220830.jpg
The green stones are just siliconed on to a pencil holder - it's for the girls :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359715453.448153.jpg
Bad photo of the 3 creations

- more to come tomorrow - these used I full tube of silicone, lucky I bought 2 tubes :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Very very cool!! Love seeing these. I'm using just plain clay pots right now, but once I get my own place (someday) and bigger aquariums, I definitely will have to look this thread up again!

Still raining - so more crafty projects :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359886785.062194.jpg
The front two are the new additions.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359886837.340853.jpg
I love the way this one turned out - even with its dodgy window. It kind of looks like 60's pebblecrete or a bird seed bell. It's one way to get rid of bad gravel ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359886970.139063.jpg
The collection so far - next step is to to scrub them down & soak them for a few days.

<3 >o_o< <3

I like the green one. You could start your own axolotl hide business ;P

i may just have to try this!!! i have been having trouble finding hides i like

has anyone tried this with sand yet?

Is it safe to use a glue gun?

to answer my own question...through trial and error I have learned glue gun glue does not hold up in water. I decided to soak it overnight to see how it held up, which it didn't at all... so I went and bought some aquarium safe silicone at Home Depot.

Just tried and made my own using the substrate I had in my axolotl tank BEFORE I learned that the gravel is a really bad idea lol, luckily there was no harm done but I have lots of gravel leftover.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 665
This is using a dollarama 12" x9" container plants and rocks, with black aquarium-safe silicone. It has 2 entrances that are ~4"L x 3"H, and one side does not have rocks or silicone on it because I ran out and I'm too cheap to get another tube *grins*. Did that last night so it's still drying xD

Attachments

• IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_1830.jpg
    IMG_1830.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 794
I know you need aquarium safe silicone, but is there any particular brands you guys would recommend? There is several 'marine safe' HA6 tubes on eBay and I wondered if these would be okay to use?

I know you need aquarium safe silicone, but is there any particular brands you guys would recommend? There is several 'marine safe' HA6 tubes on eBay and I wondered if these would be okay to use?

Marine safe tends to refer to boating applications - it's important to read
"Aquarium Safe" selleys is the brand I used (not sure if its a global brand)

Not sure what additives they would use for marine applications - so best avoided unless you can download the
material safety data sheet (MSDS)
for the product & read any contraindications.

<3 >o_o< <3

okay thanks, it did say on it that it was safe to use when building a tank ect to put in the corners, but ill keep looking :)

I just wanted to inform you not all has to be "Aquarium safe". For instance, at home Depot, the GE I Doors&Windows (NOT GE II) is 100% silicone and I believe it specifies that it isn't aquarium safe.

That's due to them being sued by people building large tanks which this silicone isn't suited for. Thus they had to change it because of silly people not using proper strength sealant for building large 100+gallon aquariums.

When you're getting silicone, this is what you want to look for:

- 100% silicone make sure it says 100%, not "contains"
- does not contain fungicides
- does not state having mold resistance (like GE II states)

If it's for DIY hides, that will do, however if it's building actual tanks I would look for the stronger construction-grade stuff.

So I haven't been around in a while but I just popped on here because my original hide from here was featured on a reptile site with a link back here and I just saw all the awesome hides you guys have come up with! Great work! I'm so glad my post was able to inspire you to try out the method yourself! I cannot take full credit for the original idea though as I am sure I read about it online somewhere, but it was really fun to use! I also don't know if I ever showed off the hides in use but here is a picture of them in my tank all set up!

DSC01633-001.jpg

Keep up the good work guys! My lotls are doing fantastic! <3

So this thread inspired me to try this out!
I have been busy siliconing gravel to plastic! probably a good 5+hours thus far. You know ANYTHING is better then studying for exams!

So Here are a couple pictures from last night. They are no even close to finished but I am on the right track I think. But These will be for my axies new tank, which I havent started cycling yet soI have tons of time still.

I am so paranoid with the gravel, so I may end up buying another tube of silicone just to be sure they will NEVER fall off Muahahaha!

I have finished the preliminary rock sticking on the second hide as of this afternoon. There is a picture of it from the side to show what I did(I cut the tuperware container in half then glued both together :p) I also cut another "exit hole" in it for them.

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 546
So this thread inspired me to try this out!
I have been busy siliconing gravel to plastic! probably a good 5+hours thus far. You know ANYTHING is better then studying for exams!

So Here are a couple pictures from last night. They are no even close to finished but I am on the right track I think. But These will be for my axies new tank, which I havent started cycling yet soI have tons of time still.

I am so paranoid with the gravel, so I may end up buying another tube of silicone just to be sure they will NEVER fall off Muahahaha!

I have finished the preliminary rock sticking on the second hide as of this afternoon. There is a picture of it from the side to show what I did(I cut the tuperware container in half then glued both together :p) I also cut another "exit hole" in it for them.

CANDYLAND HIDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... xD Seriously though.. this reminded me of Wreck It Ralph (the movie). Looks fabulous! *beams*

My boyfriend and nikki both say it reminds them of a birthday cake haha :p

They are finished now i am just lettin them cure and then put them through some tests to make sure the gravel will never fall off ever and they will be ready forthe tank

Here it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 660
wow, these are really great ideas. I am going to have to try and make 1 now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back