Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Aquascaping!

Silver

Reaction score

danchristopher

Reaction score
Looks like the ground cover in the centre is HC - Hemianthus callitrichoides (or dwarf baby tears) - which requires high light to grow densely and preferably CO2. The other cover looks like lilaeopsis, needs moderate light to grow densely as well I believe, and CO2 would be helping that along a lot also. Sides of the tank look like dwarf hairgrass, which probably needs moderate lighting.

The problem with axie tanks is that they don't like light, so you're fairly limited in your plant decisions and you must remember that this is their home and should suit their needs. It would be really nice to have a beautifully planted tank but it is not always as easy as we would like in an axie tank as additions like plant ferts and CO2 can possibly be detrimental to axie health.
There are plenty of low-light plants that people have grown successfully in their axie tanks. I have water wisteria, bacopa, vallisneria, java fern, java moss and anubias growing fine in my tanks.

The best thing for creating interesting scapes would probably be to use mosses, which don't need a lot of light, can root to things and can grow really nicely - as they have done on the trees here. There are lots of uses for mosses, I've seen some good articles about moss ropes which can create a unique effect in your tank.

4kleb61.jpg

This is probably a good option to create new dimensions in an axie tank, and I'm sure axies who light to float would probably enjoy hanging off of it.

As for ground cover... that is a little bit harder in an axie tank, especially because they spend so much time on the bottom and tend to rip up anything and everything. I had lilaeopsis in my tank at one point, I had a crappy light though and it never really seemed to grow, plus it got ripped up occasionally. Though maybe others may have had success... might have to wait for someone elses input as I haven't had any success growing ground cover plants in my axie tank :rolleyes:

And for reference, I believe this thread was incorporated into this article: Axolotl Sanctuary

natjobe

Reaction score
I am so inspired right now, thanks for this fantastic thread! Gonna try the moss roping right away!

BIGMerle

Reaction score
The original pics are not working for me :(. Any way you can repost them? And maybe updated pics.....it's been a long time since the OP

mackinthebox

Reaction score
I dont know if these are from the original post but I did some snooping on Frank's profile and found these posted to his photo gallery:

file_original-size-2548.jpg

file_original-size-2487.jpg

hope he doesnt mind me posting these :p

usafaux2004

Reaction score
And let's be mindful of the dates. The topics last post was Aug 2012, so while not a bad thing, replying to THOSE posts can be...less than productive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1