Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt trying to escape

sammannell

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently my largest newt has been up on high points of the tank when I check on them in the morning.

He tries to climb up the glass but quickly falls back down.

All the other newts are happily swimming including the smallest who would only stay on the land up until 2 weeks ago so I can't imagine it's a water quality issue, plus I do weekly water changes and have a decent filter.

How come he's trying to escape all of a sudden?

Attachments

• escapee.jpg
    escapee.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 726
  • escapee 3.jpg
    escapee 3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 544
  • escapee 2.jpg
    escapee 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 552

JM29

Reaction score
Hi !

An aquatic newt can try to escape from water for several stress-related reasons :
- water quality issues (but it's probably not the case, you say. But this newt might be more sensitive to bad water parameters than the others)
- It suffers domination from its tankmates
- It is not well fed. When you feed them, check if all the newts really eat. Sometimes an individual newt won't eat a food the other readily eat.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Does your filter create a strong current? As far as I understand it, Japanese fire belly newts also are pond dwelling types and might be stressed from too much current. That's the only thing I can think of other than what JM29.

sammannell

Reaction score
I have my filter propped against the wall so it doesn't create too much current but this weird newt loves to go in between the filter and wall and create a gap to play in the running water..

I hand feed them daily atm even though I know you don't have to feed them so often it's just easy enough to do when I have to feed the hatchlings anyway.

So maybe he is sensitive to the water or being dominated like you said. Would that happen although he's the biggest? I haven't seen him up anywhere high the last two days so maybe he's okay now.

Maybe he's just a weirdo hahaha :crazy:

Slowbro

Reaction score
Fire bellies only try to escape when under stress. Lower the tank temperature about 5 degrees with some evaporative cooling

you'll see a big change right away. also take out any toxic decorations. the merry go round can very easily be leaking acrylic chemicals and unnatural pigments into the water. same with the plastic plants. fire bellies do really well when they're underneath a layer of crazy floating plants like Elodea/Anacharis

I've successfully raised 3 breading generations of fire bellies without any escapes because i keep the tank natural and the water cold.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Yeah if the water quality is fine, they're eating well and seem healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have 1 Chinese FBN that always liked to be on land more than in the water and she's been fine for about 8 years.

sammannell

Reaction score
All the decorations are made to be in aquariums from the pet shop would they really still be toxic?
Also the whole left side of my tank is Elodea and Java Moss that's where they spend most of their time. I also have a screen top and fan and put in frozen bottles etc like in that article.

Whatever the problem was I'm guessing is gone because this trying to escape only lasted 2 days :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1