2 C. Orientalis morphs, pictures & questions

stanleyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just about 30 minutes ago I found 2 filly belly morphs (pictures in a couple hours), 1 sitting on the ledge of its container and the other scaling the adult tank walls. I had not set up a tank or container for them to morph yet, being very busy lately, they took me by surprise.

I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere on the forum, but I've got some questions. I read in the article Raising newts from egg, that for Orientalis, a semi-aquatic set up works the best. I'm thinking about a shallow watered tank, with a large rock island in the middle. Now if I go with this set up, how would the feeding happen. I have no experience with feeding terrestrial newts. I'm planning on using small crickets. Do I just drop the crickets into the rock? Would the newts enter the water at all, if so, can I keep feeding them tubifex worms in the water?

Also, what other food choices do I have? Is it practical to keep buying crickets from the pet store, as I don't want to keep a culture inside the house. Can I feed them chunks of earthworm by tweezers? or can I feed them maybe white worms or tubifex/black worms inside a very shallow waster bowl? What have you guys been feeding your juvies?

Another question is can I keep them 100% terrestrial, if i can I'd probably keep 2 groups, 1 semi-aquatic and another terrestrial.

Also, any other tips and information on raising Juveniles would be greatly appreciated. I've been raising 4 adult Fire Bellies since last easter, but have no experience with juveniles or any kind of terrestrial caudates. The feeding is the thing I'm most worried about. But suggestions on substrate and tank setup would be very greatly appreciated. Like I said before, my mind's just been off somewhere else lately, (and it still is) so I haven't been thinking about my newts really and didn't anticipate their morphing, so I haven't done the preparations or research I should've by now.

I will only be keeping 10, or probably less for myself to raise, the rest, I will be willing to give away for the shipping and handling price. So send me a message if you are interested.

Thanks in advance, Stanley

If you keep them semi-aquatically, you can feed aquatic foods, they will eventually figure out that food is to be found under water. You can also hand-feed with tweezers (worms, waxworms, bloodworms, tiny crickets...).

For a fully terrestrial tank, my recommendation is to go simple, with a substrate of moist, unbleached paper towels, and a few hides. You can either hand-feed or let them hunt with this method.

There is quite a lot of information around the forum, you should be able to find everything you need.
I also recently wrote a caresheet about raising juveniles of this species, hopefully it will be up for everyone soon. It might help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back