Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles waltl

N

niels

Hi !
I am setting up this new tank for my Pleurodeles waltl -and I am a bit confused !
Some information on Pleurodeles waltl say that they like shallow water -other information tells you they like deep water -what to believe ?

jorge

Reaction score
Have mine with 20 cms of water. They`re mating and growing very nice. They look very happy to me.

J

jeffrey

Mine are in 16cm of water and growing nicely, they were a little stunted by thier previous tank but are responding to the extra space and improved diet nicely. they have laid for me twice in this set up. I have followed the care sheets advice and they have a floating island, which they seem to use a something to push around sooner than to sit on.

N

niels

all-right !
well i think im gonna put a lot of water in this tank, as much as 45 cm and then see if they like it !Thanks for the replies !
Niels

J

jeffrey

Neils keep us informed please, I would be interested in how they respond to the deeper water.

Jeff

N

niels

Yes -now they have been in the tank for about a week - 45 cm water level in a 200 liter tank and they seem to like it ! sometimes they "freeze" at the top surface of the water and have a nice "free fall" drop down through the water !and its really nice to watch.They seem like very active newts-they move and swim a lot - I read somewhere that this species was found in underwater-caves on a 70 meters depht !I am sure that they enjoy these new surroundings with nice deep water !
smile6.gif
Over and out -Niels

J

jeffrey

My waltls are extremely active too. Though they don't have the depth to free fall in like yours they do love to settle slowly back after swimming to the top. Glad to hear that your set up is working nicely for you.

J

joeri

Lower the water level during winter and keep it very cool for a few weeks. Than let it rise again and get back to "normal" temperatures. It will trigger them to mate.

Mine are most of the year in 25-30 cm deep water, during winter it will be only 15 with less light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1