Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soon-to-be Axolotl Owner--Tips and Help

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
Hi,
I will hopefully be getting a pair of axolotls in the next few weeks. I was thinking about starting a freshwater fish tank, but then when I saw that the local pet store had baby axolotls, I decided to do my research. I've loved salamanders and axolotls for years and done a lot of research on them, but I've never had a pet amphibian before.
So, this is post is basically a chance for me to check if my information is correct from experienced owners. :)
Here is my plan:

Tank set-up: (I have a tank that is around 30 gallons, and I plan to house two axolotls)
Non-gravel substrate, preferably sand
A hiding place/shelter
Thermometer
An under-gravel or sponge filter

Care:
Feed earthworms or bloodworms twice a week
Water that stays between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit
Clean tank at least once a week

And I have a few questions about cleaning the tank; What do you find is the best procedure for tank-cleaning? Where do you temporarily house the axolotls while you clean? Do I need special supplies to clean the tank?

I'm also a bit inexperienced when it comes to water condition. I just know that the water needs to be conditioned to get rid of the chlorine in it, and that axolotls like a pretty neutral pH, but I'm unsure about nitrates and nitrites and things like that.

One more question: I've heard about tank cycling, which I believe is when you let the complete set-up tank and filter run for a few days before introducing animals into it. I'd like to have more information on this, and how to introduce axolotls into a new tank.

Thanks so much to anybody that helps, and feel free to correct any of my information :) I want to do the best for my new pets.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Hi there, first, you have it all pretty much worked out. One thing I will say with filtration is that the sponge filters give those beautiful long gills, also an under gravel can be really hard when using a substrate like sand. Another point is what type of sand you use, go for either play sand, aquarium sand, pool filter sand, quartz sand or coloured 'crazy' sand. Avoid, black quartz sand (which is actually not quartz), beach sand, desert sand and other super fine sands, and Tahitian moon sand.
Feeding: I would really recommend eartthworms and some bloodworms but not bloodworms as a staple for adults as they lack some nutrients. Bloodworms however are great for younger axies because earthworms are usually too big.

Now onto the tank:

Cycling actually takes about a month or two and is the process of establishing a biologically stable filtration system (basically bacteria develop) this keeps our water parameters stable without too much swinging. There are more details elsewhere but in short, you will start with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and possibly 0-5 nitrate. Then you will add an ammonia source, this can be in the way as live animals or even some frozen brine shrimp or similar. After you add your ammonia source he ammonia will rise dramatically, getting to about 8 ppm, your nitrites will also rise fairly high. If you choose to do a "fish in" cycle, you may find that these fish die. You then need to do daily small water changes, anywhere from 10-30% until you get lower ammonia results (you may not get these until... BOOM one day you see nitrates) when you start getting nitrate readings you can breathe a sigh of relief because you're nearly done. Keep up the water changes until you get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 40 or lower nitrate. This can be one of the most frustrating parts of owning any fish/axolotl. To complete the cycle faster, add some ornaments/hides so there's more space for bacteria to grow. Don't use prime as your dechlorinator or anything that says it "binds" ammonia. Also live plants will slow your cycle down dramatically so I recommend not adding them until later :)

Now cleaning: once the whole cycling process is done you will want to do a 20-30% water change weekly. You should also purchase a turkey baster so you can 'spot clean' that way you can pick up any left over food/poop as soon as you see it. Also, don't wipe down the sides of your tank because you will remove a lot of this friendly bacteria.

Sorry for the essay but I wanted to cover this in as much detail as possible :D

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Olivia's just about covered everything but I thought I'd just add juvenile axolotls need feeding more than twice a week. I usually feed my juveniles daily until they reach roughly 5 inches in length. Earthworms are a great staple but small axolotls can sometimes struggle with their size and movement. In that case you can chop them to make them more manageable and/or bloodworm usually always go down well. Pellets are also a good option; soft trout/salmon pellets are recommended but I know some places stock pellets specifically made for axolotls. Once my juveniles reach 5 inches I gradually cut their feeding down to every other day, then to 3 times a week (like that of an adults food intake). If temps are low axolotls tend to eat less as their metabolism slows down. :happy:

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you so much!
So, to start the cycle of the tank, would purchasing a few corydoras or tetras be acceptable until the levels are good, then moving them into their own tank once the axolotls arrive?
Also, what kind of filter would you suggest and what tools do you use to clean the tank?

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I can't see why they'd do any harm unless they need totally different requirements to axolotls heated water for example. (You'll have to excuse me, I'm useless with fish!). Shrimp may be useful to help cycle the tank as well. I know a lot of people recommend sponge filters. As for cleaning, once your tank has cycled and your filter's in full working order you should only need to do a 20% water change weekly (hardly anything in an adequately sized tank). The best way to remove waste from the tank is with a siphon. Uneaten food can also be removed with a turkey baster.

Olivia97

Reaction score
for example, every Wednesday in my 3ft tank i take out 2 small sized buckets then refill with the same amount. (this takes about 10 mins) sponge filters will give you those giant long fluffy gills that you see in the photos, Turkey basters are an axie owners bestfriend! this is what i have in my "axie kit"
*siphon
*2 buckets
*water conditioner and a spoon (to measure)
*towels
*turkey baster
*small bowls (this is for spot cleaning)
*tweezers (feeding, i also use the turkey baster)
*API test kit

and probably lots of things i've forgotten

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
So sponge filters are good?
And also I was wondering about the water conditioner--do you add it to the tank with the axolotls in it, or do you have to let it sit and process?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a newbie :p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sponge filters are great.

You'll have to treat the water before you add it to the tank. It's best to let the water sit overnight, if possible.

Ask as many questions as you like; that's why we're here!

Olivia97

Reaction score
Well if you're using conditioning salts or a liquid then really it's instant but if you're letting the chlorine evaporate then 24 h is reccomended

jasper408

Reaction score
Well if you're using conditioning salts or a liquid then really it's instant but if you're letting the chlorine evaporate then 24 h is reccomended

Make sure that it is chlorine, and not chloramine! Chloramine takes weeks to dissipate.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's a combination of the last 2 posts. You must use a dechlorinator to remove chloramine (it will not dissipate on it's own, no matter how long it sits), and you should let it dissipate over night after treatment. This also allows the water to come to the appropriate temperature.

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you everyone who has helped so far!
I have just reserved my pair of axolotls and will be able to bring them home in a couple weeks. This week I am planning to get the tank and all the equipment--substrate, cleaning supplies, filter, thermometer, food, etc.
Will I have enough time to cycle the tank? I don't know how long the pet store will hold the axies...is there a way I can speed the process up? Is an un-cycled tank especially dangerous to axolotls?
Thanks guys :3

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Putting fish with similar requirements to that of axolotls will help cycle a tank (so long as you have a place to keep the fish or have someone that can look after them, I don't recommend keeping the two species together. Shrimp may also be useful for cycling purposes. The length of time it can take to cycle a tank varies, but I'd say my tanks are usually fully cycled in 6-8 weeks. I wouldn't say putting axolotls in an uncycled tank is catastrophic but ammonia spikes and erratic nitrite, nitrate readings will occur. Ammonia and nitrite are harmful to axolotls. I always say it's best to let the the tank fully cycle before it's new inhabitants are placed. If you're unable to keep the axolotls for a longer amount of time you could always keep them in temporary containers and/or tubs until your cycle starts to settle. This will require daily water changes, however.

JessKB

Reaction score
The cheapest, safest, most reliable way to speed up a cycle is to borrow material from an established tank and add it to your tank when you get your axolotls. If you know someone who already has an established fish tank (doesn't have to be an axolotl tank) ask if you can take a big chunk of their filter pad. This will already contain a lot of bacteria and will really help you finish a cycle because you won't be starting from scratch.

Another really good way to do it is to find someone with a gravel bottom tank, take a couple handfuls of gravel out, put them in a nylon, tie it off, and drop it in your tank. After a month take out half the gravel, and a month after that pull out the rest. Products that claim to cycle your tank are unreliable. Even the good ones work sometimes but not all the times. I've had failure and success with them, and have come to the conclusion that they usually aren't worth it.

AbysmalAxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks! This is really helpful, as I'm freaking out a bit worrying the water won't be adequate for my axies.
I'm excited though! I'm getting a golden albino and a wild type :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1