Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moving homes.

aidenmoore

Reaction score
Hey
I am going to be moving house (heading back home as I have finished university) the journey will take 3-3.5hours. What is the best way to transport my axolotl? Also I won't have the chance to get a tank running back home for when I get there so what is the best way to set up something for him to go into for when I get home? Do I keep the current water thats in the tank and use that or just go for completely new water?

Thanks! :bowl:

Sean90

Reaction score
A friend moved house recently and they used large fish bags and a cooler box to transport axolotls during the journey. If I remember correctly you have a few hours of oxygen in a bag if you fill it with a third of air. However they had a tank set up before the move maybe if someone could fill some treated water in containers. The tank helped a lot as the axolotls did become stressed in the bag.

If any of that helps.

omgitsmogo

Reaction score
I just moved back from school and this is what I did:

Got Zazu into a tupperware then placed him into a bucket with a snap on lid
Siphoned out tank water into additional buckets - put filter and decorations into this bucket with water so they didn't dry out
Transported empty tank

Then I just set everything back up when I got home! It was a challenge but it worked

Richzl

Reaction score
When I moved I got a large polystyrene transport box from my lfs. U should ask urs if they have any spare from there weekly delivery. There big enough to carry some of you existing water too.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have used all of these methods. Tupperware is the least hassle. Put your critters in them, stack them all in a cooler with a small ice pack (not necessary if your drive is short, as yours is), and you're good to go!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!