Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue Spotted Salamander

Blue Spotted

Reaction score
So I'm going to try and catch a Blue Spotted at the forest today and I want to know a couple things. I recently just moved my pet American Toad out of a 10 gallon and into a 20 gallon. Can I use the 10 gallon with the old dirt in it for the salamander or will that infect the blue spotted? Also, I used to feed my old Salamander earthworms, but is there something else that's better to use?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BEFORE you go, find out what the status of blue-spotted sals is in your state. In some states they are protected and it's illegal to take them from the wild.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Start with clean soil everytime. Wash the tanks with a 10% bleach rinse very well and let it air dry before putting anything else in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1