Photo: Spots - Heat stress or natural markings. You decide...

Brocky

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All

I have what I think may be something interesting for you all.

My Axolotl, Brocky, is nearly 8 years old and has some interesting spots on his body. They've been accumulating gradually over his life and i've never been sure about what they are. I've done some reading and what i thought they were is heat stress spots.

We use to live in a house where you couldn't control the heat (even for humans). Most summers have been quite hot for us and two summers ago it got ridculously hot (two weeks it was over 30 degrees Celsius, day and night). I thought i'd lose my little friend then, but we got through it. We now live in a house that is a much better place to be for axies (and humans).

I saw that some treatments for these involve salt baths and fridging or even Mercurochrome treatments. I wanted to confirm what the spots are before I start any treatment that may further stress us both out.

Brocky is eatting well, despite the current cold tempertures, and seems quite happy. He is otherwise healthly. I'd like to help Brocky get better, if he needs to get better.

I have included some pictures which were taken 2 days ago, please note that I am changing the gravel for sand as we speak.

Thanks
Brocky

http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=1695

I guess these are natural markings associated with age. I would not worry about them or try to treat them.

Most of your gravel is too fine to be of much danger to an adult, though there are a few choke size stones around.

8 Years old is quite a good age for an axolotl kept in warm conditions.

I've never seen spots like those before. I agree that they are probably just age spots of some kind and treatment would probably be pointless.

I dont think its any thing to be concerned about one of my axis has developed quite a few small few gold spots it is due to age.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back