Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls back legs are floating

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Hi all,
James here.I have an axie (Doritoes) and he has been my pet for nearly a year now.He is eating well and loves his home.The water is cycling for a long time and the water is clean.He recently had a floating problem and turning upside down but now he is fine.I have put in new rocks a couple of days ago which were very clean.He sometimes swims to the top because he knows that I feed him at the surface.Usually when he swims down (after he's been at the top) to walk about.His front two legs and his head can touch the gravel but his back two legs and his tail float.This has happened many times before and he sometimes fixes it by burping an air bubble out his mouth.I was just wondering if this was a problem.:confused:

Thanks
James:D

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi James,

What do you mean by "rocks"? If you mean gravel, Doritoes may be swallowing them when rooting about for food (even if he feeds at the surface, ingrained habits are hard to break). If Doritoes swallows gravel, the gravel can cause a blockage, which might (mong other things) trap air, causing him to float. It's not a good thing because it hurts and can cause serious health issues, as food can't get through either.

Sorry to seem all gloom and doom but it's a relatively common problem, using gravel/pebbles as substrate.

-Eva

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
The rocks are not gravel they are big stones

P.S
sorry for not explaining it very well:eek:

Thanks
James:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1