Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I think my axolotl is being eaten..

pikel

Reaction score
When i went to feed my axolotls this morning (Plato the black wild and Aristotle the yellow) i found that Aristotle's gills had been mowed on one side. He still has one side of fluffy gills but the other is completely bald! He and Plato both ate normally, (1 square of beef heart each) and the tank temperature is still at 18 degrees despite the heat wave. So I wasn't quite sure why his frills had been reduced to stubs, could it be the feeder fish nibbling at them? Could it be Plato nibbling at them? Is it a disease? Is it too hot? I'm fearing the worst, as when i later came and checked up on him he was floating close to the surface, motionless... For a minute i thought he was dead but then he flicked his stubs and sank back down to the bottom. He has been going up for air more frequently than normal today, (i assume because of the lack of gillyness), and has been a bit restless. I changed the tank water as soon as i saw him floating, (it really did scare me) and i'm contemplating getting rid of those feeder fish, as well as contemplating putting him in the fridge. Does anyone have any advice? Why are his gills gone/how do i get them back/will he be alright?

Here are some details: I feed them every 2-3 days and do a 50% water change every week, with a 100% change every month. I have a filter on 16 hours a day and 2 living plants for that touch more oxygen. the tank is 2 feet long (60cm) 1 foot high and 1 foot wide, plenty of room for 2 axolotls and their feeder fish pals. PH is 6.8 after i just changed the water.

kira

Reaction score
could it be the feeder fish nibbling at them?

I would say that your feeder fish have had a good meal of 'axolotl'! How many feeders do you have?
I find it best to keep the feeders seperate from the axies (I have a smaller tank for feeders) and every couple of days I add as many feeders to the axie tank as I have axolotls. In your case, add 2 feeders every couple of days. It gives the axies a chance to have a break too.

I'm fearing the worst, as when i later came and checked up on him he was floating close to the surface, motionless... For a minute i thought he was dead but then he flicked his stubs and sank back down to the bottom. He has been going up for air more frequently than normal today, (i assume because of the lack of gillyness), and has been a bit restless.

Your little one will go to the surface more offen to get oxygen because of his 'gillyness' (I like that by the way). I won't worry about that too much. As for the lack of movement, your axie is probably in shock (I know that I would be if something bit part of me off)! I would suggest seperating him from the other axie and the feeders and keep him in a cool, dark place for a while so that he can relax. Given the present heat wave, the fridge might be the best place for him for a while.

50% water change every week, with a 100% change every month. I have a filter on 16 hours a day and 2 living plants for that touch more oxygen. the tank is 2 feet long (60cm) 1 foot high and 1 foot wide, plenty of room for 2 axolotls and their feeder fish pals. PH is 6.8 after i just changed the water.

Ok, have you cycled your tank? Why are you doing 50% water changes weekly and 100% monthly?
Your tank is too small for 2 axolotls and some feeder fish. It is recommended that you have 18inches of floor space per axie. Why are you only leaving the filter on for 16hrs per day. This could kill the good bacteria in your filter and that would increase your bio load. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, what are your levels?

On another note, I am curious as to how you are keeping your tank at 18C.;)

Hope this helps a bit.

pikel

Reaction score
I would say that your feeder fish have had a good meal of 'axolotl'! How many feeders do you have?
I find it best to keep the feeders seperate from the axies (I have a smaller tank for feeders) and every couple of days I add as many feeders to the axie tank as I have axolotls. In your case, add 2 feeders every couple of days. It gives the axies a chance to have a break too.

Had 12 2 weeks ago, 7 become food, so i now have 5 left, which i just went and separated then.

I would suggest seperating him from the other axie and the feeders and keep him in a cool, dark place for a while so that he can relax. Given the present heat wave, the fridge might be the best place for him for a while.

My room is where they are kept, it's very dark and very cold, basically like a fridge but bigger.

Ok, have you cycled your tank? Why are you doing 50% water changes weekly and 100% monthly?
Your tank is too small for 2 axolotls and some feeder fish. It is recommended that you have 18inches of floor space per axie. Why are you only leaving the filter on for 16hrs per day. This could kill the good bacteria in your filter and that would increase your bio load. Are you testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, what are your levels?

I'm changing the water like this because that's what my uncle told me to do, he kept axolotls for 3 years. Regarding the space, i know it's smaller than recommended but most of the time the axolotls are climbing on each other anyway just for laughs. It is a fairly deep tank. I turn the filter off for the hottest 8 hours of the day, just to minimise the heat during this heatwave, it's usually on 24/7 but i thought it was worth turning it off during the hottest part of the day (yes, it get's hot even in my room). I take my tank water for an ammonia and nitrate/nitrite test every time i visit my local pet shop, but i think my next visit will be the one where i get some of my own testers.
On another note, I am curious as to how you are keeping your tank at 18C
They are on a stone floor, in a large dark room with 2 air conditioners in it, this past week i put some frozen water bottles in there, they seem to like that.

Please give me a link or additional info on how i am meant to be changing the water, I didn't even know i was doing it wrong, it seemed to be working.

kira

Reaction score
You need to cycle your tank. Here is some info on cycling:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

When you start to cycle your tank you need to change about 10% of the water everyday. You also need to test your ammonia evryday because the ammonia will spike. When this happens you will need to change slightly more water. When you first start cycling, I find it best to make sure that the ammonia stays around 0.5.

After this, your nitrites will begin to increase and this will also spike and the ammonia will decease until it is a constant 0. While you have nitrite in your tank, you still need to do daily water changes of about 10%.

Eventually, your nitrites will decrease until it is a constant 0 and you will then notice that you will have nitrates. Nitrates need to be less than 60.

After your tank has cycled (which can take weeks to months), you only need to change about 20% of your water a week.

Here is so more info which you might find useful.
http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm
http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Pikel,

Axolotl keeping can be both a science and art can't it? Please heed Kira's advice, especially on water changes, cycling and use of filter. I second all her suggestions. Just a few other points i though could help you troubleshoot.

1 - What type of feeder fish do you use? Use non aggressive, freshwater fish that can survive in cool water. Also remember to quarantine them for 30 days before use otherwise they can introduce parasites and diseases. Suitable feeder fish includes guppies, minnows, platys. Other type of fish can be quite nibbly and can hurt your axie.

2 - What other food do you offer your axie other than beef heart and feeder fish? Beef heart and feeder fish alone is not nutritionally sound and can cause malnutrition. They are suitable only as treats. Malnutrition will in turn cause poor gill health. Offer a variety of food including axolotl pellets, bloodworms and earthworms, which you can offer as staples.

3 - Continue to monitor your axie. Check for things like odd behaviour including inappetance and excessive floating. Check for signs of stress such as forward facing gills and curled tail tip. Check for illness like abnormal growths, patchy discolouration etc. When you see any of these, isolate your sick axie in the fridge.

4 - Water chemistry is most important. Ensure you have good water quality, temperature and not too much currents. Follow kira's advice.

Cheers

pikel

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, started cycling today :p

And my axolotls are fine now, eaten all the fish one by one as i introduced them, i even got to see one being eaten :D.
I also went digging for worms after yesterday's rain...i found one :D

Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Pikel,

Its happy endings like this that make all our efforts so much more worthwhile.

Cheers.;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!