help my axolotl is floating wierdly and

georgieabc123

Reaction score
Country
England
is got extremly bloated over the last few days and is either floating on her side and and if shes no doing that shes floating upright and has something pink the same color a her coming out of her bum a bit and shes not eating for a few days what should i do i was going to ring the vets tomorrow if she makes it is http://www.barrieranimalcareclinic.co.uk/epv/amphibians_fish.htm a good vet is there better one in london thank you :(

Re: help my axolotl is flaotng weridly and

Hi georgieabc,

There is not enough information to help with diagnosis and it would be risky to jump to conclusions. Would you be able to take a few photos of your axie and post it up here? Include a full body shot from the side, the gills up close, her floating behaviour and around her cloaca (bum) area.

Provide some general history of the axie. What do you feed the axie? What are the water parameters, temperature and currents? What do you use as substrate? Did you introduce anything new to the tank lately? Do you have other animals sharing the tank?

The things you are describing can be anything relatively mild and benign like constipation to more serious cases like impaction, cloaca prolapse or bloat.

Sorry i couldn't advise on the vet practice. You may like to call and enquire if they are familiar with axolotls.

Meanwhile, i recommend you fridge your axie while arranging to bring it to the vet. My recommendation is for you to fridge your axolotl during this period. Fridging your axie will destress it, boost its immune system and render harmful pathogens (both bacterial and fungal) less viable.

- Set your fridge to about 4-5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
- Continue to offer a variety of nutritious food daily. Try live wriggly food like blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms. You can also try the usual pellet, offer treats of shrimp and fish etc. Otherwise you can also blend everything in a food processor and then roll the resultant mash into a pea sized ball to try offer your axie. Remove uneaten food within 20 min.

Cheers

thankyou for replying sorry i forgot the tempreture is 21c they are on play sand and she is in with 4 other axolotl the tank is 8ft x 2ft never bred her had her for about 3 years they have got two filters a air stone and about 3 weeks ago i got some new plants from a pet shop near me but they had the same ones for years before and i risned them before adding to the tank and can you use photobucket.com for posting pics if so how and they eat live river shrimp live blood worms and live earth worms all brought from the petshop i will put her in the fridge and set the fridge to 4 degrees but i do need to ring a vet dont i evan if you say no i still probley will i cant help it :eek:

Hi there,

It would be a good idea to separate your sick axolotl from the main tank, away from the other axolotls. You can do so by fridging your sick axie.

So far you seem to be doing fine for your tank. However, do your filters and air stone cause excessive currents? Also, whenever you want to add something to the tank, be it a new axolotl, new plants, you would need to first quarantine them for at least 30 days to prevent transmission of diseases or parasites.

Feeding live bloodworms, earthworms and shrimps are fine.

Yes, it is most advisable you bring your axie to a vet who can help you.

Cheers.

wow i didnt know about quarantine plant thanks she is now in the fridge and im just about to ring the vet and the filters dont really cause a current but the air pump doea should i turn it off

a little update the amphibian vet will be in later this afternoon and will see me then thank for all the help Darkmaverick :smile:

Hi there Georgieabc123. you say your axolotl has a pink bit coming out of its bum/cloaca? this sounds like it could be a prolapse. but i could only be certain if you posted the pics. i hope everything goes ok with the vet.

Claire

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back