Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating axolotl

Ganymede264

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm raising 2 small axies (about 10cm). Yesterday, I gave them some small feeder fish (3 for each of them), then one of them kept floating on the surface. Today. the axie still floats like that. There is no sign of fungus, or infection; when I "tickle" it, it still swims around.
Is floating a normal behavior of an axolotl? What am I supposed to do for my axie?

Many thanks,

elchicano

Reaction score
I think it may be stressed out. Axies tend to float around when they are stressed out. Well thats what i have read here, correct me if I'm wrong people. :)

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I've found juveniles tend to float a lot anyway, without a necessary cause. If your little ones are struggling to get to the floor of the tank, or they are half walking, half floating with the tail end up, it may be a sign of digestion problems (a need to poop or pass wind!). If there no other signs of stress such as very curled forward gills (youngsters have a tendancy to have more forward facing gills sometimes, I've noticed) or a curled tail tip, then I wouldn't worry.

inkozana

Reaction score
Sounds like bloat to me, a lot of baby axolotls will get this.
If you look at his tummy, can you see any small bubble? If not, then s/he probably just needs a burp.
But bloat is something that you can't often do anything about, some babies will burp up the bubble in their tummy, but most will die.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ganymede,

Floating is generally attributed to stress. Try moving the affected axies to shallower water with plenty of hiding places like aquatic plants. Also check the tank conditions to see if there are any stressors to rectify.

Internal air bubbles are visible and is attributed to an accumulation of gases in the digestive tract or by not allowing the proper aging of freshwater before use. Gases in the disgestive tract can be expelled by burping or pooping and the axie should recover uneventfully.

In my opinion, it is less likely to be bloat if there are no other signs of illness or stress. Bloat is usually a metabolic dysfunction resulting in fluid imbalances and oedema and the axie would look puffed out. There is a genetic basis to this and the prognosis is poor.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/why_larvae_die.shtml

Cheers

Ganymede264

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback,

I have checked my small axie this morning. It's still active, there's no "bubble" in its stomach and it doesn't bloat at all. However, my axie is still floating on the surface.

Index of the basin containing my small axie:
Radius of the basin: 45cm
pH: 8
Temperature: 20C

In fact, I made 3/4 water change for this axie's basin with dechlorinated water 2 days ago. I'm afraid that my small axie would get infected, so I let it fast yesterday. I intend to feed it again today.
Should I let it fast for a while for refreshing its digestive system?

Please advise me what I should do?

Many thanks,

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ganymede,

Read the link i gave you earlier. It answers a lot of your questions.

Your basin size, pH and basin size are all ok. Although very young axes appear more tolerant of higher temperatures, i would still consider 20 degree celsius on the high end. It would be much better if you can keep it at a stable lower temperature between 16-18 degree celsius. Axies can tolerate a range of pH from 6.5 - 8. However, neutral around 7 is best. At higher pH (8), you have to be extra vigilant about water chemistry, in particular ammonia levels. At higher pH, there exists a greater proportion of toxic uniodised ammonia.

I would not advise you to 'fast' young axies. In fact, i think that is counter productive. They need frequent feeding to obtain their energy and nutrition, especially since they have rapid growth and high metabolism. Depriving them of the much needed nutrition can make them more vulnerable to illness. Continue to feed them regularly with the right food.

Feeder fish is not suitable as a staple so i hope you are only using them as a treat. Do you feed bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms etc?

Cheers.

Ganymede264

Reaction score
Hi all,

According to your recommendations, I have reduced the temperature to 18C, the pH is around 7.5.-8. At the moment, the floating small axie still eats its food as usual, yet it still floats on the surface. .
But now, the other small axie has not been eating, as it has kept spitting out its foods since 3 days ago. In fact, I have given it live feeder fish, bloodworms, but none of them were working. Besides, this axie acts normally as it does crawl, swim, and not float or bloat either.

Please help my little axies!

Many thanks,

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
HI Ganymede,

If nutrition and tank conditions are optimal, the only thing left is to monitor them closely. For the floating axie, if it has no other signs of illness or stress, the next thing i can think of is to move the axie to shallower water (so it doesn't float as floating itself is stressful) that has plenty of aquatic plants and hiding places.

For the inappetant axie, continue to tempt with live wriggly worms (small worms are best) such as blackworms if possible. Try offer novel food types (treats). Sometimes offering a treat will trigger their feeding again. You can try very small pieces of shrimp, fish or beef meat.

Cheers

Ganymede264

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried "luring" the inappetant axie with bloodworms and small piece of beefheart, but it wasn't interested in those food at all. This axie doesn't bloat, yet it does float on the surface now and then. As I have checked its stomach, there is a dark blue color inside. This small axie often lays at bottom of the basin, yet when I touch its tail, it's got spooked and run swiftly around the basin :rolleyes:

I just worry that this inappetant axie might get internal bacterial infection in its digestive system. Should I use anti-biotics on it? I really don't want to medicate it with freshwater fish's medicine, as I have once lost an axolotl just because of medicating it with aquarium fish's medicine :(

Look forward to your advice,

Thanks,

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ganymede,

Firstly, let your axie rest while being refridgerated. Don't go prodding it because that would stress it.

What made you think the axie has a digestive tract infection? Axies lose their appetite due to many things, it doesn't necessarily mean its a digestive tract problem.

Would you be able to provide a photo of the belly region showing the 'dark blue' area? Even if its an impaction, fridging will help it substantially.

Please do not self medicate the axie. Only vets can administer antibiotics carefully and properly. Different antibiotics have different efficacy against different types of bacteria, dfferent dosage requirements, different side and adverse effects and different routes of administration. You will need a vet to determine if there really is a bacterial infection by means of haematology, culture and sensitivity and then decide which antibiotic to use if needed. Wrong types of antibiotics, wrong route of administration and wrong doses can cause death to the axie and resistance in the bacteria.

Cheers.

Ganymede264

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply,

I will try not to touch the inappetant axie anymore. Last night, I put 3 tiny feeder fish inside of its basin and it ate 1 of them, but after that it regurgitated that feeder fish out. Until this morning, this axie is still not eating, although there hasn't been any sign of fungus or external pain. Additionally, the dark blue inside of its stomach has disappeared, but it still doesn't have food.
About the other floating small axie, which I mentioned earlier, it has now fully recovered.

Please help my little inappetant axie!

Kind regards,

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Ganymede,

Since your axie attempted to eat the fish, its a good sign. I think perhaps the fish was too large for it to digest properly in the cold. If you are fridging that axie, it is important to offer food that are small and thin enough to be consumed and digested readily. Feed pieces of food smaller than usual when the axie is fridged.

Cheers.

Ganymede264

Reaction score
The tiny feeder fish, which I gave the inappetant axie, is really "tiny". In fact, this axie really keened on this type of feeder fish before it lost its appetite.
Today, this axie still doesn't show any obvious symptom of illness.

Well, I suppose that I may just try to keep the axie in a good water condition, temperature, and other index such as pH, ammonia, and entice it to eat by offering variety of food. I really hope that it will recover soon.

Many thanks,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!