No-name axie plus one

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently acquired a new axie. He is beautiful, but still nameless! He has one long black gill that stretches over his back which looks a bit like a dreadlock, I was therefore going to name him Marley (as in Bob) but I noticed someone else has two axies one called Bob, one called Marley! No, I can't choose a name that someone already has, it's got to be original you see! So, still contemplating, will think of something that suits him eventually!

So, today I went to a reptile (and amphibian) show. I saw one of our guys there, Phil, who had his gorgeous baby axies for sale. Well, I couldn't walk away without getting one could I?
So we have a tiny wildtype too, to add to our menagerie. Beautiful little thing, and has the voracious axie appetite, wolfed down about 8 small worms! So now I have to think of ANOTHER name!

We also came away from the reptile show with a tiny, but perfect crested gecko! He/she is named Dino for now, may change when we are sure whether it is male or female. He ate some tiny crickets when we got him home and immediately after showed us how he sheds his skin!

Oh dear I think we are starting a zoo!

Now within our home we have.....6 axolotls, one frog, one gecko, 2 cats, one dog, a box full of worms, a tank of woodlice, a tank of crickets and a tank of freshwater shrimps!

Below are pics of our new additions, including the shrimps, if you can make them out. Sorry about the pictures, there is a blurry spot in each one because silly me managed to scratch the lens of the camera the other day. :(

Edit: Forgot to mention no-name black axie is back in the fridge after a brief spell in his quarantine tank. He has fungus on two of his toes, you can just about make out little white patches on his right front foot. I've salt-bathed him and as it's such a tiny amount of fungus I'm hoping it won't take long for him to recover. We are having another hot spell here in the UK at the moment, so I think the best place for him is the fridge for now. His two toes look like the tips have been stripped to the bone, I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

Attachments

• new pets 001.jpg
    new pets 001.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 395
  • new pets 002.jpg
    new pets 002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 381
  • new pets 006.jpg
    new pets 006.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 301
  • new pets 005.jpg
    new pets 005.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 412
  • new pets 003.jpg
    new pets 003.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 257
  • new pets 004.jpg
    new pets 004.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 327
  • new pets 007.jpg
    new pets 007.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 294
  • new pets 008.jpg
    new pets 008.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Lovely melanoid. I like the sunstone coloured wildtype too.

I'm not actually sure he is a melanoid! He has some speckles on him in the right light like a wildetype, also his eyes look blue in the light, can you advise me what I need to look for to work out what type he is?

Yes you are right, i can see what you mean by speckles when i enlarge the photos. If you still see a reflective ring around the eyes, it is a dark wildtype.

Shine a flashlight in its eyes. If it has a shiney iris (iridophores) then it's a wild type, if it lacks a shiney iris then it's a melanoid.

My 2 cents: Melanoid.

He (or she, but I'm plugging for male) is one gorgeous axie, Kerry. Congratulations!

As to the name...call me crazy, but with that mask, I think "Erik" (aka "The Phantom of the Opera" - Andrew Lloyd Webber style :D).

Hi Kerry, was good to see you at the Expo. Thank you for giving one of my Axolotls a good home :)

Your black/melanoid does look a lot like the parent of your wild.

DSC00110.jpg

The reflective pigment only really shows up on the photo ~ as I've never had a Melanoid from her; I'm assuming she's a really dark wild.

I do now have a deformed (unfortunately) Melanoid I'm growing on ~ so I can compare eyes when older :)

Thanks Phil, good to meet you, great to put faces to names!

Jacq - the black one is an adult male, that one is already confirmed!

I don't really care what type they turn out to be anyway, I love them just the same! ;)

You can really see the sparkley bits (technical terminology, you see) on that axie on your photo Phil, looks like it's been coated with gold dust!

I don't really care what type they turn out to be anyway, I love them just the same! ;)

You can really see the sparkley bits (technical terminology, you see) on that axie on your photo Phil, looks like it's been coated with gold dust!

The bits on his head are dust from the maggots I'd given her. You can't see the shiney bits (on her legs) with the naked eye ~ they only popped up on the photo. I'd describe her as jet black ~ looks very much like your dark/melanoid male.

As I mentioned yesterday - I'm rubbish with colours :D ...think it'll be easier for me to tell (esp with these really dark ones) when I have a true sub/adult melanoid to compare with.

...but I'd also say your dark/melanoid was a melanoid from the photos.

I'll have to get a good close-up photo of him in good light and see if he looks the same as yours. In daylight he is very speckled, darker spots against a dark background, haven't noticed any sparkles yet though.

He's recuperating in the fridge at the moment. The fungus has cleared, he's just left with two toes that have no flesh on the tips. I'm going to keep him in the fridge a little longer to make sure he is fighting fit.

I think the little wildtype is beautiful! Congrats on your new guys! The crested gecko too :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back