Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: BGA/Cyanobacteria Problem in tank

AlmightyNo

Reaction score
Hey,
So I have some BGA in my moss planted tank and I've tried to clean it many times. Its on the glass, sand, rocks, the moss. Everytime it comes back, I found this product online called Ultra Life Blue Green Slime Stain Remover. https://www.amazon.ca/Ultralife-Green-Slime-Stain-Remover/dp/B000QSK31M . I've heard good things about it mostly positive reviews, it also doesn't contain any chemicals or algaecide allegedly. I went on the company's website and asked them about the use with Axies and they said they don't know. I asked them a follow up question about the ingredients they didn't respond but, they do have a MSDS on their website of the product and it doesn't have any dangerous chemicals. I did have a little rotting moss in my tank so I removed it. I'm going to do a water change and see if any improvements.

So my question is has anyone used Ultra Life Blue Green Slime Stian Remover it also went by another name Blue Green Algae Remover. I know I could just remove my Axolotl out the tank during the treatment but I don't like moving him around.

AlmightyNo

Reaction score
So, I bit the bullet and I tried the Ultralife Blue Green Algae Stain Remover. It is recommended to use a bubbler, but I just lowered the water level and let the filter splash down. I read some other people who have used this product and they said they saw the BGA turn brown but I never had that. For me after the first dose (you wait 48 hours then do a second if needed) I saw it disappear a little but it did rot away at all. I did the second dose most of it was gone from the sand and the little was left I scrapped off. After the treatment it did come back, but I saw a little left so I waited a week and did a third dose. This removed all the little pieces and I have not seen any regrowth yet. As for the inhabitants the shrimp and Axolotl didnt seem to have any adverse effects, he never showed any signs of stress calm gills straight tail. The only thing is the moss turned white in a few pieces but cant confirm that this product was the cause. Overall I recommend seems to work, seems safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!